A word for groceries - ὀψώνια?

This forum is for writing about modern themes or phrases used in the classroom or for instruction that do not presume an ancient setting.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing how to do Greek composition and practicing writing in Greek.

If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Stephen Hughes

A word for groceries - ὀψώνια?

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Does anybody use a different word for "shopping", "groceries", when talking about their daily life?

I'm working on the idea that at or shortly after the time of purchase "groceries" could be called, ὀψώνια, but then when they have been integrated into running of the household, they could be called, σιτία, and then at the time of eating τροφή.

To put that the other way, the 10 yuan I take to do my shopping is ὀψώνια, the bag of food I bring home is ὀψώνια too.

Suggestions or comments?
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Wes Wood

Re: A word for groceries - ὀψώνια?

Post by Wes Wood »

Would any of these work? I don't think I have ever seen #3 or #4 "in the wild," but I am reasonably sure I have seen the others in Plato. You likely already know several other commonly used words (like χρήματα which I know that you know ;)), so I tried to operate under the assumption that you are looking for something a bit more specific. Anyway, I hope it helps.

1) τὰ ἐπιτήδεια
2) τὰ ὤνια
3) ἡ ἐμπολή
4) τὰ ἀγόρασμα
Ἀσπάζομαι μὲν καὶ φιλῶ, πείσομαι δὲ μᾶλλον τῷ θεῷ ἢ ὑμῖν.-Ἀπολογία Σωκράτους 29δ
Stephen Hughes

Re: A word for groceries - ὀψώνια?

Post by Stephen Hughes »

One question I don't know is when Photius lists the meanings ὀψώνια, is he giving all the meanings that he believes the word has, or just the ones that woukd have been unfamiliar to speakers of his time.
Wes Wood wrote: March 29th, 2017, 10:59 pm 1) τὰ ἐπιτήδεια
I thought of that too, but when I looked in BDAG for that, the closest thing it came back with was "necessities". If I remember rightly, that is used in James for kind words vs. practical help.
Wes Wood wrote: March 29th, 2017, 10:59 pm 2) τὰ ὤνια
4) τὰ ἀγόρασμα
Those words probably form a narrow focus, inclusive focus distinction.

ὀψώνια is based on ὤνια. The relationship between them and ὀψάριον (originally the diminuative) might be interesting too.
Wes Wood wrote: March 29th, 2017, 10:59 pm 3) ἡ ἐμπολή
Have you seen that used of consumables?
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “The modern world”