Best online Septuagint?

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Todd

Re: Best online Septuagint?

Post by Todd »

R. Perkins wrote: June 5th, 2015, 12:24 am This may seem like an ignorant question, but when I look up a passage in this LXX it doesn't seem to match the chapter-verse(s) of other translations or even the BHS (which I also recently purchased with morphological tagging).
I am late to the game here and the question has been answered well. However, I want to point out a resource that will help you quickly match the correct Psalm chapter from LXX to the MT.

If you have eSword Bible software (free) e-sword.net you can download Brenton's English Septuagint from within the download>Bibles function of the software. This version follows the MT chapter and verse system while at the same time adding the LXX chapter and verse right next to the MT chapter and verse. This allows you to quickly sync the two in your mind! Here is an example. Blue LXX

Wattelf

Post by Wattelf »

Todd wrote: November 12th, 2023, 10:42 am
R. Perkins wrote: June 5th, 2015, 12:24 am This may seem like an ignorant question, but when I look up a passage in this LXX it doesn't seem to match the chapter-verse(s) of other translations or even the BHS (which I also recently purchased with morphological tagging).
I am late to the game here and the question has been answered well. However, I want to point out a resource that will help you quickly match the correct Psalm chapter from LXX to the MT.

If you have eSword Bible software (free) e-sword.net you can download Brenton's English Septuagint from within the download>Bibles function of the software. This version follows the MT chapter and verse system while at the same time adding the LXX chapter and verse right next to the MT chapter and verse. This allows you to quickly sync the two in your mind! Here is an example. Blue LXX. I also recently implemented software from OKR App into my business, with the help of which I was able to optimize many processes, in particular, improve the setting and tracking of tasks.

It’s great that you’re sharing resources for those looking to navigate the differences between the LXX (Septuagint) and the MT (Masoretic Text). Brenton’s English Septuagint in eSword is indeed a valuable tool for making those connections more straightforward.

For anyone using eSword, this feature not only allows for a side-by-side comparison but also enhances understanding by providing the corresponding chapters and verses, making it easier to study and cross-reference. This can be especially helpful for those who are delving into the Psalms and want to grasp the nuances between the two texts.

If you're interested in exploring this further, eSword offers various other resources that can complement your studies, including commentaries and dictionaries. Happy studying!
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Wattelf wrote: October 10th, 2024, 10:50 am It’s great that you’re sharing resources for those looking to navigate the differences between the LXX (Septuagint) and the MT (Masoretic Text). Brenton’s English Septuagint in eSword is indeed a valuable tool for making those connections more straightforward.

For anyone using eSword, this feature not only allows for a side-by-side comparison but also enhances understanding by providing the corresponding chapters and verses, making it easier to study and cross-reference. This can be especially helpful for those who are delving into the Psalms and want to grasp the nuances between the two texts.

If you're interested in exploring this further, eSword offers various other resources that can complement your studies, including commentaries and dictionaries. Happy studying!
Hello, Wattelf.

This is your first post on the B-Greek forum, so I’ve approved it tentatively. I’d appreciate (we all would, actually) if you made an introduction post in the appropriate subforum to let us know a bit about you and how you came to the study of the Greek language. Additionally, our policies ask that you use your real name either as your username or in the signature line of your profile. We have enough spam floating around on the forum and are doing what we can to keep it limited.

That said, welcome to B-Greek. You’ll be free to participate and give your advice on learning Greek as soon as this housekeeping is taken care of.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha”