Septuagint Translation Choices: Love

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Jonathan Robie

Septuagint Translation Choices: Love

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I have read about the differences between Greek and English words related to love, I have also read about the differences between Hebrew and English words for love.

What references are best for discussion of Septuagint translation choices for words related to love (חֶסֶד, אהב, etc), focusing on the relationships between Greek and Hebrew meanings? I know Hatch and Redpath, and I know some Hebrew lexicons make reference to Greek words that are used to translate some senses, but I'm wondering if there are good article-length discussions of this somewhere.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Ken M. Penner

Re: Septuagint Translation Choices: Love

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Jonathan Robie wrote: April 20th, 2021, 8:37 am What references are best for discussion of Septuagint translation choices for words related to love (חֶסֶד, אהב, etc), focusing on the relationships between Greek and Hebrew meanings? I know Hatch and Redpath, and I know some Hebrew lexicons make reference to Greek words that are used to translate some senses, but I'm wondering if there are good article-length discussions of this somewhere.
I would start the investigation with the entries for those Greek words in Muraoka's lexicon.

Under άγαπάω he cross-references άγάπη, άγάπησις, άγαπητός, έραμαι, στέργω, φιλέω, βδελύσσω, μισέω and points to Trench 41-4; Schmidt 3.474-91; Tarelli; Stauffer, TDNT 1.38-41; Steinmueller 406-13; Ceresa-Gastaldo; Paeslack; Georgacas 105f.; Spicq 1.8-22; ND 3.15; Swinn; Joly; Barr 1987; LSG s.v.; Muraoka 2001a: 16f.

Under άγάπη he also lists Paeslack 74-81; Ceresa-Castaldo
Under άγαπητός he adds Turner 1926; Chadwick 32-4; Lee 2003a: 193-211.

Under ἔραμαι he cross-lists ἐραστής, ἔρως, ἀγαπάω, ἐπιποθέω, φιλέω and points to Schmidt 3.475f.; Steinmueller 406-13; Casanova

στέργω says Cf. στοργή, ἀγαπάω, φιλέω: Schmidt 3.480-8.

φιλέω says Cf. καταφιλέω, φίλος, φιλία, φιλιάζω, φίλημα, ἔραμαι, ἀγαπάω, στέργω, μισέω, προσφιλής: Schmidt 3.476-80; Trench 41-4; Shipp 126f.; Steinmueller 406-13; Paeslack; Joly 1968; Stahlin, TDNT 9.113-28; Swinn 1990; Muraoka 2001a: 16f.

Paeslack, M. 1953/54. “Zur Bedeutungsgeschichte der Worter φιλεῖν ‘lieben,’ φιλία ‘Liebe,’ ‘Freundschaft,’ φίλος ‘Freund’ in der Septuaginta und im Neuen Testament (unter Beriicksichtigung ihrer Beziehungen zu ἀγαπᾶν, ἀγάπη, ἀγαπητός,” Theologia Viatorum 5.51-142.
Steinmueller, J.E. 1951. “Έρᾶν, φιλεῖν, ἀγαπᾶν in extra-biblical and biblical sources,” in A. Metzinger (ed.), Miscellanea biblica et orientalia [Fschr R.P.A. Miller, Rome], 404-23.
Swinn, S.P. « ἀγαπᾶν in the Septuagint », T. Muraoka (ed .), Melbourne Symposium on Septuagint Lexicography, SCS 28, Atlanta, Scholars Press, 1990, p. 49-81.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org

Return to “Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha”