ἄν in Gen 12:1

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Mitch Tulloch

ἄν in Gen 12:1

Post by Mitch Tulloch »

καὶ εἶπεν κύριος τῷ Αβραμ Ἔξελθε ἐκ τῆς γῆς σου καὶ ἐκ τῆς συγγενείας σου καὶ ἐκ τοῦ οἴκου τοῦ πατρός σου εἰς τὴν γῆν, ἣν ἄν σοι δείξω·

What does the presence of the modal particle ἄν signify in Genesis 12:1? CGCG sec. 34.4 says that ἄν is not combined with either the primary indicative (e.g. the future δείξω) or the imperative (e.g. Ἔξελθε) so what purpose does ἄν signifiy in this sentence? Since CGCG focuses mostly on Attic, is the use of ἄν here something different that was new in Koine?

Thanks!
--Mitch
Cheers,
Mitch Tulloch
Ken M. Penner

Re: ἄν in Gen 12:1

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Mitch Tulloch wrote: December 8th, 2023, 9:36 am καὶ εἶπεν κύριος τῷ Αβραμ Ἔξελθε ἐκ τῆς γῆς σου καὶ ἐκ τῆς συγγενείας σου καὶ ἐκ τοῦ οἴκου τοῦ πατρός σου εἰς τὴν γῆν, ἣν ἄν σοι δείξω·

What does the presence of the modal particle ἄν signify in Genesis 12:1? CGCG sec. 34.4 says that ἄν is not combined with either the primary indicative (e.g. the future δείξω) or the imperative (e.g. Ἔξελθε) so what purpose does ἄν signifiy in this sentence? Since CGCG focuses mostly on Attic, is the use of ἄν here something different that was new in Koine?
δείξω could be future indicative or aorist subjunctive.
I'd say ἄν adds an element of uncertainty or indefiniteness. It implies that either God hadn't yet decided which land it would be, or Abraham was not yet to know it. A similar effect could have been achieved with εἰς γῆν τινα, ἣν σοι δείξω.
FWIW, that uncertainty is not present in the Hebrew.
I'm guessing its purpose was to help the reader recognize δείξω as a subjunctive rather than a future.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Perhaps it serves to distinguish between δείξω “I will show” (future indicative) and δείξω “I should show” (aorist subjunctive). It could also make the clause less specific (“the specific land that I will show you” versus “the land (whichever it is) that I might show you”).

Smyth covers the uses of ἄν in §§1761-1768.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Mitch Tulloch

Post by Mitch Tulloch »

Ah yes of course, I forgot that 1 sg. future indicative is identical to 1 sg. sigmatic aorist subjunctive, the presence of ἄν should have clued me into that.

:-P

Thanks!
--Mitch
Cheers,
Mitch Tulloch

Return to “Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha”