[Dickey] Group Proposal

A subforum for working through Eleanor Dickey's An Introduction to the Composition and Analysis of Greek Prose, which can be purchased online at Cambridge press or Amazon.

If you are interested and want to get started, or want to look at a sample before you jump in, the intro on accents and the first chapter is available online as a free PDF here .
EricSowell

[Dickey] Group Proposal

Post by EricSowell »

I am once again desirous of working through Dickey's Greek composition book with other people. A few folks on Twitter and I chatted about it the other day and at least a few of us thought a forum would work well for this. I'm wondering if anyone would mind us using the Writing In Greek section for this and if not, wondering what the best way to use it would be. My first thought would be to have a subforum for the project as a whole and a different thread for each chapter of the book, which I think would be good for facilitating discussion for each chapter.

Even if we fizzle out part of the way through, we still leave behind a resource that others can find useful for what we do end up covering. One of the hardest things about working through this book is finding people to look at your stuff or at least having other examples to use to critique your own work. I think doing this here could be beneficial.

Thoughts?
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Use B-Greek for Dickey's composition book?

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Sounds like a good plan to me.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

EricSowell wrote: July 20th, 2019, 10:32 am I am once again desirous of working through Dickey's Greek composition book with other people. A few folks on Twitter and I chatted about it the other day and at least a few of us thought a forum would work well for this. I'm wondering if anyone would mind us using the Writing In Greek section for this and if not, wondering what the best way to use it would be. My first thought would be to have a subforum for the project as a whole and a different thread for each chapter of the book, which I think would be good for facilitating discussion for each chapter.

Thoughts?
This is a really good idea. I should already have started on this but got delayed. I have done Dickey's pre-work on accentuation, and am working on John Cook's book on it - nearly done. Then the plan was to start working regularly through Dickey. I fully expect to have some difficulty maintaining a regular pace. But definitely interested.

I think a subforum for the project and topics per chapter is fine. I suspect additional topics on non-chapter specific but related issues might arise from time to time.

Thx
D
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Are you referring to this book?

If so, I live in Israel and it will take a little while for the book to arrive. I will certainly order it and attempt to work through it with you. Just let me know.

Jason
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
EricSowell

Post by EricSowell »

Jason Hare wrote: July 20th, 2019, 10:01 pm Are you referring to this book?
Yep! That's the one.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

EricSowell wrote: July 20th, 2019, 10:45 pm
Jason Hare wrote: July 20th, 2019, 10:01 pm Are you referring to this book?
Yep! That's the one.
I've placed an order. It should be here by Aug 5, if Amazon isn't exaggerating.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
EricSowell

Post by EricSowell »

Assuming no objections come from the moderators/administrators, could somebody please create a subforum for us in the "Writing in Greek" section? I'm thinking we should call it something like "Dickey's Greek Composition Group", "Group Work in Dickey's Greek Composition Book", or perhaps something better.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Eric,

I've proposed something in the Staff Forum. We'll get back on this soon.

Jason
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

By the way, the prefaced material and first exercise are available online as a free PDF. We can get started even before my copy arrives, if you guys would like.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Jason Hare wrote: July 21st, 2019, 9:21 am I've proposed something in the Staff Forum. We'll get back on this soon.
Jason proposed that we start this off with a thread or two and make sure it has momentum before creating a sub-forum. I agree.

Also: Dickey's book is not easy. Plan on going slow. People may move at different rates. Just be aware of that ...
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Eleanor Dickey: Composition and Analysis of Greek Prose”