[Dickey] Ch 0: Exercise A

A subforum for working through Eleanor Dickey's An Introduction to the Composition and Analysis of Greek Prose, which can be purchased online at Cambridge press or Amazon.

If you are interested and want to get started, or want to look at a sample before you jump in, the intro on accents and the first chapter is available online as a free PDF here .
EricSowell

[Dickey] Ch 0: Exercise A

Post by EricSowell »

See this thread for general info and discussion about what we're doing here

This week our goal is to complete the first part of the book, the pre-work on accentuation, pages 1-7. I've attached a text file containing all the material to be accented, without accents, so you don't have to type everything from scratch. Our goal is to have this completed by July 28th.

If you don't have the book yet, this section of the book is in the free excerpt here.

When you complete yours, reply to this thread with it. If you have anything to discuss, reply to the thread.
Attachments
chapter-0-blank.txt
(7.27 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Jason Hare

Re: Dickey, Composition: Ch 0, Exercise A

Post by Jason Hare »

Exercise A

1. παίδευε, παιδεύωσι, παιδεύοιμι, παιδευέτω, ἐπαίδευον, ἐπαιδεύομεν, παιδεύομαι, παιδευόμεθα, παιδεύῃ, παιδευώμεθα, παιδεύησθε, παιδευοίμην, παιδεύοιο, παιδεύου, παιδευέσθω, παιδεύσουσι, παιδεύσοι, παιδεύσοιεν, παιδεύσεται, παιδευσόμεθα, παιδεύσοιτο, παιδευσοίμην, παιδευσοίμεθα, παιδεύσοιντο, ἐπαίδευσα, ἐπαίδευσε, ἐπαιδεύσαμεν, ἐπαίδευσαν, παιδεύσαιμι, παιδεύσαι, παίδευσαι, παιδεύσαιεν, παίδευσον, παιδευσάτω, παιδεύσατε, παιδευσάντων, πεπαίδευκα, πεπαιδεύκατε, ἐπεπαιδεύκη, ἐπεπαιδεύκεσαν, πεπαιδεύκοι, πεπαιδεύκοιμεν, πεπαίδευμαι, πεπαίδευσαι, πεπαίδευται, πεπαιδεύμεθα, πεπαίδευσθε, ἐπεπαιδεύμην, ἐπεπαίδευσο, πεπαιδεύσομαι, πεπαιδεύσει, δίδωμι, δίδωσι, δῶμεν, διδόασι, δίδομαι, δῶται, δίδοται, δώμεθα, διδόμεθα, διδοίην, δῶτε, διδοίημεν, ἔδωκα, δῶνται, ἔδομεν, ἐδόμην, ἔδοτο, δοῖεν, δῶσι, δοίησαν, δοῖσθε, δόσθω, δοσθε, δοῖτο, δόντων, δότω, δοῖο, ἔθηκε, θεῖεν, ἔθηκας, ἔθου, θεῖτε, ἐθέμεθα, θεῖμεν, ἐθέμην, ἔθεσαν, θῶσι, ἔθετε, ἔθηκα, θῶμεν, θῆτε, θείησαν, θείητε, θείημεν.

2. στρατεύματος, στρατεύματι, στρατεύματα, στρατευμάτων, στρατεύμασι, πολέμου, πολέμῳ, πόλεμον, πόλεμοι, πολέμων, πολέμοις, πολέμους, κήρυκος, κήρυκα, κήρυκες, κηρύκων, κήρυξι, γενναίου, γενναίῳ, γενναῖον, γενναῖε, γενναῖοι, γενναίων, γενναίοις, γενναίους, γενναῖα, γενναίας, γενναίᾳ, γενναῖαν, γενναῖαι, γενναίων, γενναίαις, γενναίας, γενναῖα, ἀξίου, ἀξίῳ, ἄξιον, ἄξιοι, ἀξίων, ἀξίοις, ἀξίους, ἄξια, ἀξίας, ἀξίᾳ, ἄξιαι, ἀξίων, ἀξίαις, ἀξίας, ἄξια, ῥήτορος, ῥητόρων, ῥῆτορ, ῥήτορας, ῥήτορες, πολίτου, πολίτην, πολῖτα, πολῖται, πολίταις, πολίτας, θαλάττης, θαλάττῃ, θάλατταν, θάλατται, θαλάτταις, θαλάττας, καλόν, καλοί, καλή, καλαί, καλά, καλούς, παιδεύοντος, παιδεύοντες, παιδευόντων, παιδεύοντας, παίδευον, ἀνδρείου, ἀνδρείῳ, ἀνδρεῖον, ἀνδρεῖοι, ἀνδρείων, ἀνδρείοις, ἀνδρείους, ἀνδρεῖα, ἀνδρείας, ἀνδρείᾳ, ἀνδρεῖαν, ἀνδρεῖαι, ἀνδρείων, ἀνδρείαις, ἀνδρείας, ἀνδρεῖα, δαίμονος, δαίμονι, δαίμονα, δαῖμον, δαίμονες, δαιμόνων, δαίμοσι, δαίμονας.

3. κακὸν δέ, σοφὸν καί, δήλου κακοὶ καὶ σοφοί, σοφοὺς δὲ κακοὺς καὶ δήλους, σοφὴν δὲ καὶ κακήν.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Note that I've changed the topic to include only Exercise A (from pages 5–6). There is a LOT to cover in that one exercise, so I figured it was a good idea (as someone suggested) that we break it up by exercise and not by chapter.

I hope that's acceptable!
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
EricSowell

Post by EricSowell »

Yes, thank you.
EricSowell

Post by EricSowell »

I did the exercise and found a few things on mine to correct. No need in this case to paste a copy of things. However, I did find a couple differences of the same kind that I wanted to discuss, the feminine accents for γενναῖος and ἀνδρεῖος.

Me: γενναία (fem), γενναίας (gen), γενναίᾳ, γενναίαν, γενναῖαι, γενναίων, γενναίαις, γενναίας (acc)
You: γενναῖα (fem), γενναίας (gen), γενναίᾳ, γενναῖαν, γενναῖαι, γενναίων, γενναίαις, γενναίας (acc)

Me: ἀνδρεία (fem), ἀνδρείας (gen), ἀνδρείᾳ, ἀνδρείαν, ἀνδρεῖαι, ἀνδρείων, ἀνδρείαις, ἀνδρείας (acc)
You: ἀνδρεῖα (fem), ἀνδρείας (gen), ἀνδρείᾳ, ἀνδρεῖαν, ἀνδρεῖαι, ἀνδρείων, ἀνδρείαις, ἀνδρείας (acc)

In the nominative and accusative singulars, I believe the -α is long, so that would force the penult to be acute. I think the rule that the α as long following ε, ι, ρ would mean that this is the case.

Thoughts?
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

EricSowell wrote: July 27th, 2019, 2:59 pm In the nominative and accusative singulars, I believe the -α is long, so that would force the penult to be acute. I think the rule that the α as long following ε, ι, ρ would mean that this is the case.
I believe you're correct in the context of the exercise, since it concerns adjectives whose masculine ends in -αῖος; see Smyth § 286a "When ε, ι, or ρ (30, 218) precedes -ος the feminine ends in -ᾱ, not in -η.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

EricSowell wrote: July 27th, 2019, 2:59 pm
In the nominative and accusative singulars, I believe the -α is long, so that would force the penult to be acute. I think the rule that the α as long following ε, ι, ρ would mean that this is the case.

Thoughts?
That's how a read Dickey on this. Dickey does mention, in a parenthesis to rule 5 on page 4, that first dimension adjectives in α always have a long α.
John Lee doesn't describe it in the same way but he gets to the same accenting.

Thx
D
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

You're right. I had ἀνδρεῖα (neut. pl.) in my mind, and I carried it over to the feminine (*ἀνδρεῖαν). I have to confess that huge walls of text like this just exhaust me.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “Eleanor Dickey: Composition and Analysis of Greek Prose”