[Dickey] Question about “Analysis”

A subforum for working through Eleanor Dickey's An Introduction to the Composition and Analysis of Greek Prose, which can be purchased online at Cambridge press or Amazon.

If you are interested and want to get started, or want to look at a sample before you jump in, the intro on accents and the first chapter is available online as a free PDF here .
Jason Hare

[Dickey] Question about “Analysis”

Post by Jason Hare »

So, I'm trying to work through how Dickey gives directions about analysis in Appendix C. I've never done this kind of analysis before. What I did for #1 and #2 is attached here. Can you tell me what you think? Did I do it correctly? Is there a "correct" way to do it?

{edit: I changed the rankings and levels...}

Thanks!!

Sketch.png
Sketch.png (249.88 KiB) Viewed 11070 times
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Jason Hare

Re: Question about Dickey's Composition - Analysis

Post by Jason Hare »

Do you think that you will be doing analysis in this way or simply translating or what?
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
EricSowell

Post by EricSowell »

I don't see where she recommends using that form of analysis before chapter 6. After that the chapters often (always?) say "analyze according to the model given in chapter VI". So I say we just wait till then. Up to that point, I would rather just focus on the instructions in the chapter, and focus on the chapter's goals. Having now done on paper the stuff for chapter 1, it's definitely not needed yet.

When we get there, I am game for it. I don't expect everyone will want to do all that for every chapter though, but that's fine (obviously).
EricSowell

Post by EricSowell »

As for what you did, that's very nice and laid out well. But I'm hoping we can figure out a decent format that will lend itself to plain text and posting in text boxes on forums. I would like to avoid breaking out a word processor and making a bunch of screenshots.
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

Jason Hare wrote: August 6th, 2019, 12:30 am So, I'm trying to work through how Dickey gives directions about analysis in Appendix C. I've never done this kind of analysis before. What I did for #1 and #2 is attached here. Can you tell me what you think? Did I do it correctly? Is there a "correct" way to do it?
I have read the appendix describing the method. I want to try it out but I didn't do this exercise this way. It reminds me a little of Mounce's phrasing but with more structure which I think is helpful. I want to try it out with some sections of Josephus. One advantage though of trying it out with simpler passages though is to get a handle on the method before the text itself presents too many challenges. I assume later material will be more complex.

I would also like to use a method that would be amenable to cutting and pasting from.

As to how it looks it looks ok but I might try to work through it myself to see exactly where I would put the divisions exactly.
I have a question about the handling of ἦς at the start of 2.1. If the καἰ in joins the two following clauses as both subordinate to "over which" then for clarity it probably needs to be lifted out of 2.1. Otherwise one could read it as something like "But he sent for Cyrus from the principality over which he had made him satrap and he appointed him general over all those gathered in the plain of Castolos." which means a rather different thing. I'm not sure how to handle that here given the simpler method explained by Dickey. I'll have to work through it.

Thx
D
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

EricSowell wrote: August 10th, 2019, 11:33 am I don't see where she recommends using that form of analysis before chapter 6. After that the chapters often (always?) say "analyze according to the model given in chapter VI". So I say we just wait till then. Up to that point, I would rather just focus on the instructions in the chapter, and focus on the chapter's goals. Having now done on paper the stuff for chapter 1, it's definitely not needed yet.

When we get there, I am game for it. I don't expect everyone will want to do all that for every chapter though, but that's fine (obviously).
Absolutely understand your sentiment.

I want to do this on my end because I can see how it can be beneficial. I'll also just work through the text as per her instructions.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “Eleanor Dickey: Composition and Analysis of Greek Prose”