[Dickey] Ch 2: Preliminary Exercises

A subforum for working through Eleanor Dickey's An Introduction to the Composition and Analysis of Greek Prose, which can be purchased online at Cambridge press or Amazon.

If you are interested and want to get started, or want to look at a sample before you jump in, the intro on accents and the first chapter is available online as a free PDF here .
EricSowell

[Dickey] Ch 2: Preliminary Exercises

Post by EricSowell »

See this thread for general info and discussion about what we're doing here. It has been two weeks, so it's about time to start chapter 2. If you aren't quite ready to move on yet, don't rush yourself. We can always extend this chapter into three weeks if people need time to catch up. We can wait and see how things go and decide in a couple weeks.

This thread is the preliminary exercises for chapter 2. Looks like there are four preliminary exercises in this chapter. Post when you're ready.
EricSowell

Re: Dickey, Composition: Ch 2, Preliminary Exercises

Post by EricSowell »

Alright, I'll start this one off. Here are preliminary exercises 1 and 2. I left out the ones that the answer key covers.

Preliminary Exercise 1

j. the young women in the marketplace (dat. 2 ways)
* ταῖς νέαις ταῖς ἐν ἀγορᾷ
* ταῖς ἐν ἀγορᾷ νέαις

k. slaves of the young men (nom)
* δοῦλοι οἱ τῶν νέων

l. the slave of the woman in the marketplace (acc. 2 ways)
* τὸν τῆς ἐν ἀγορᾷ δοῦλον
* τὸν δοῦλον τὸν τῆς ἐν ἀγορᾷ

m. slaves of the young woman (gen)
* δούλων τῶν τῆς νέας

n. the young woman's good slave (nom. 2 ways)
* ὁ ἀγαθὸς δοῦλος ὁ τῆς νέας
* ὁ τῆς νέας δοῦλος ὁ ἀγαθός

o. the young man's slave (gen.)
* Not translatable in this way

p. the young men in the marketplace (gen. 2 ways)
* τῶν ἐν ἀγορᾷ νέων
* τῶν νέων τῶν ἐν ἀγορᾷ

q. the good young slave (gen. 3 ways)
* τοῦ ἀγαθοῦ δούλου τοῦ νέου
* τοῦ δούλου τοῦ ἀγαθοῦ καὶ νέου
* τοῦ νέου δούλου τοῦ ἀγαθοῦ
* τοῦ ἀγαθοῦ καὶ νέου δούλου - would this be possible?

Preliminary Exercise 2

k. The middle brother (nom)
* ὁ μέσος ἀδελφός

l. on the middle stone
* ἐν τῷ μέσῳ λίθῳ

m. in the middle of the stone (2 ways)
* ἐν μέσῳ τῷ λίθῳ
* ἐν τῷ λίθῳ μέσῳ

n. the brother alone (nom)
* ὁ ἀδελφὸς μόνος

o. the only brother (acc)
* τὸν μόνον ἀδελφόν

p. only the brother (gen)
* μόνου τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ

q. the only slaves (dat)
* τοῖς μόνοις δούλοις

r. only the slaves (gen)
* μόνων τῶν δούλων

s. the stones alone remained (2 ways)
* μόνοι οἱ λίθοι

t. the only stone (nom.)
* ὁ μόνος λίθος
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Just looking at how much she expects us to read from Smyth is intimidating. I haven't cracked Smyth open for this chapter yet. Yikes!!

Also, I thought that she was going to give us a list of relevant vocabulary in every chapter. I don't see a list in this chapter.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
EricSowell

Post by EricSowell »

I think most of the "recommended grammar reading" from Smyth is paradigms, accents, and the like. If someone has a decent grasp on basic declensions, that's unnecessary reading for this chapter in my opinion. It obviously won't hurt though. I read most of the recommended syntax reading and also read overlapping material in the new Cambridge Grammar by Boas/Rijksbaron/Huitink/Bakker (do we have a good acronym for this yet?), and preferred it, but which wasn't available when she wrote the book.

As for the vocab, she expects you to check out the vocabulary section at the very end of the book.
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

Jason Hare wrote: August 17th, 2019, 7:05 pm Just looking at how much she expects us to read from Smyth is intimidating. I haven't cracked Smyth open for this chapter yet. Yikes!!
That's what I thought initially too. I read it over several sessions. It's a lot but a lot of it was familiar but things like the dual were good to read as a lot of NT grammars barely mention them. And it's a good opportunity to read Smyth which I've not done before.
Jason Hare wrote: August 17th, 2019, 7:05 pm Also, I thought that she was going to give us a list of relevant vocabulary in every chapter. I don't see a list in this chapter.
Took me a while to find the vocab too. It's right at the back - p264.

Thx
D
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

EricSowell wrote: August 17th, 2019, 10:51 pm Cambridge Grammar by Boas/Rijksbaron/Huitink/Bakker (do we have a good acronym for this yet?),
Is CGCG starting to stick ? I think I've seen it used.

Thx
D
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

EricSowell wrote: August 17th, 2019, 6:18 pm Alright, I'll start this one off. Here are preliminary exercises 1 and 2. I left out the ones that the answer key covers.

Preliminary Exercise 1

m. slaves of the young woman (gen)
* δούλων τῶν τῆς νέας

n. the young woman's good slave (nom. 2 ways)
* ὁ ἀγαθὸς δοῦλος ὁ τῆς νέας
* ὁ τῆς νέας δοῦλος ὁ ἀγαθός

q. the good young slave (gen. 3 ways)
* τοῦ ἀγαθοῦ δούλου τοῦ νέου
* τοῦ δούλου τοῦ ἀγαθοῦ καὶ νέου
* τοῦ νέου δούλου τοῦ ἀγαθοῦ
* τοῦ ἀγαθοῦ καὶ νέου δούλου - would this be possible?

1.m τῶν not required I think, per II A Without the article

1.n I had your second one. But my other was ὁ ἀγαθὸς τῆς νέας δοῦλος. Looking back over it now though it doesn't accord with any example Dickey presents. So I suspect your first is preferrable.

1.q I did the same sort of thing here whereas I should have done τοῦ ἀγαθοῦ δούλου τοῦ νέου. I don't see a prohibition against what suggest for 1.q in your 4th option. I might perhaps have done something similar to that in 1.n ὁ ἀγαθὸς καὶ τῆς νέας δοῦλος, if I read Dickey right on p17 3c, though it would be rarer it seems.

On 2 we agree

Thx
D
Seumas Macdonald

Post by Seumas Macdonald »

for the vocab, I would personally recommend taking her list, and typing things you personally need into a separate document, especially principal parts, since Dickey expects you to literally memorise all vocab with all principal parts each chapter.

Reading whatever in CGCG that maps to the Smyth chapters is a good way to go about the grammar side of things.
Seumas Macdonald, Ph.D.
Sydney, Australia
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Daniel Semler wrote: August 17th, 2019, 11:36 pm
EricSowell wrote: August 17th, 2019, 10:51 pm Cambridge Grammar by Boas/Rijksbaron/Huitink/Bakker (do we have a good acronym for this yet?),
Is CGCG starting to stick ? I think I've seen it used.

Thx
D
Try CGG, Cambridge Greek Grammar.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I learned μέλλω simply as "about (to happen)" or "coming," as in ὁ μέλλων αἰών, τὸ μέλλον κρίμα κτλ. I had never made any connection to the concept of "delay" with infinitive or that we should expect it to be used with a future participle to mean "about to..." I feel like I'm just filling in a lexical gap with that term.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “Eleanor Dickey: Composition and Analysis of Greek Prose”