Anthologia graeca carminum christianorum

Discussion of Greek texts that do not fall into the other categories, including texts in other dialects or texts from other periods.
Forum rules
This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Jonathan Robie

Anthologia graeca carminum christianorum

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Anthologia graeca carminum christianorum seems to be a book of early Christian hymns. Can someone help me decipher the Latin enough to understand exactly what these hymns are? How well-known are these hymns?
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Jonathan Robie

Re: Anthologia graeca carminum christianorum

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Found an English translation with a table of contents here.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
ALBERTCHRISTOPHER

Post by ALBERTCHRISTOPHER »

What do you mean by deciphering latin? maybe I would help you, but what do you mean?
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

ALBERTCHRISTOPHER wrote:What do you mean by deciphering latin? maybe I would help you, but what do you mean?
I don't read Latin. The introduction is in Latin - what does it say about what these hymns are?
ALBERTCHRISTOPHER

While looking today morning at this Latin introduction to the carmina I noticed that it is a kind of book/booklet about history of early christian eastern poesis.
it is quite a lot. Write what concretely you are interested in, for example: author, or something like that, and I will translate it into English.
ALBERTCHRISTOPHER

I will look at the contents and write to you.
ALBERTCHRISTOPHER

So, I will focus on the part: Prolegomena, liber primus de poetis christianis Graecis. As I think it is about hymns occurring in this book.An d I will write to you about it.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I found an English translation by Chatfield, so I think I have an idea what it says now. Thanks!
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

I think that the 9 hymns of Synesius of Cyrene are unlikely to be well-known because of his neoplatonic leanings, and because of the level of Greek needed to understand them.

Of the hymns of Gregory Nazianzus, one small section was made popular in an English translation the Greek is on page 24 and the English at hymntime.com. His other hymns are to be found on websites in Greece. The Church's expression of faith through worship, and through the writings of its doctors is taken as bases for understanding theology and the Faith alongside the Biblical texts. This Gregory is called the theologian, and these are hymns, so they are at the same time both the writings of a Church father and a communal expression of faith received by the faithful. You could use that reasoning to adjudge how well known they are.

Within the liturgical year, Great Friday and the midnight Resurrection Sunday service are the best attended. Besides the Sunday morning eucharistic service, Saturday night vespers are the next well-attended. You could judge how well-known hymns within the liturgical cycle are based on the patterns of attendance.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
ALBERTCHRISTOPHER

OK. I have inferred from the preface that most of them are of neoplatonic origin. As the author of the introduction says only the following are regarded as strictly Christian:
5, 7, 8, 9, 10.

Return to “Other Greek Texts”