Euripides Iphigenia Aulidensis 1125-26

Discussion of Greek texts that do not fall into the other categories, including texts in other dialects or texts from other periods.
Forum rules
This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Stirling Bartholomew

Euripides Iphigenia Aulidensis 1125-26

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

{Κλ.} φεῦ·
τίν' ἂν λάβοιμι τῶν ἐμῶν ἀρχὴν κακῶν;
ἅπασι γὰρ πρώτοισι χρήσασθαι πάρα
κἀν ὑστάτοισι κἀν μέσοισι πανταχοῦ.
The highlighted portion looks like a string of datives with an infinitive χρήσασθαι. The portion following πάρα is what Helma Dik calls "the remainder." While the portion in front of πάρα looks like simple syntax, I don't get it. Perhaps Clytemnestra is the assumed subject of the infinitive. How do we read the middle voice? Clytemnestra is the beneficiary so I don't think she can be the subject.
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Robert Emil Berge

Re: Euripides Iphigenia Aulidensis 1125-26

Post by Robert Emil Berge »

Perhaps this from LSJ under παρά helps:
F. πάρα (with anastrophe) stands for πάρεστι and πάρεισι
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Euripides Iphigenia Aulidensis 1125-26

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Robert Emil Berge wrote: May 15th, 2017, 5:12 pm Perhaps this from LSJ under παρά helps:
F. πάρα (with anastrophe) stands for πάρεστι and πάρεισι
Here is the context for the note from LSJ. Eurip. IA is typically ignored being a marginal work.
POSITION: παρά may follow its Subst. in all three cases, but then becomes by anastrophe πάρα: when the ult. is elided, the practice varies, τῇσι παρ' Il.18.400; but Ἡφαίστοιο πάρ' ib.191.
παρά abs., as ADV., near, together, Il.1.611, al., E.IA201 (lyr.).
πάρα (with anastrophe) stands for πάρεστι and πάρεισι, Il.1.174, Hes.Op.454, A.Pers.167, Hdt.1.42, al., S.El.285, Ar.Ach.862, etc.
Thank you. That looks promising. I will take another look at it in the morning after my first dose of caffeine.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Return to “Other Greek Texts”