φιληδείμονα Cicero Atticus 12.6

Discussion of Greek texts that do not fall into the other categories, including texts in other dialects or texts from other periods.
Forum rules
This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Barry Hofstetter

φιληδείμονα Cicero Atticus 12.6

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Not a Greek text, but Cicero is fond of sprinkling Greek throughout his letters.

amo enim πάντα φιληδείμονα teque istam tam tenuem θεωρίαν tam valde admiratum esse gaudeo.

The question is about φιληδείμονα. It's pretty clear what it means, and I believe it derives from φιληδέω. "For I love everyone who takes delight and I rejoice that you so especially admired such a fine point." The problem is I can't find a lexical entry, which should be φιληδείμων. Am I missing something? Is this a coinage by Cicero?
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Robert Emil Berge

Re: φιληδείμονα Cicero Atticus 12.6

Post by Robert Emil Berge »

LSJ refers to this passage for the word φιλειδήμων "fond of learning".
Barry Hofstetter

Robert Emil Berge wrote: May 23rd, 2017, 6:01 pm LSJ refers to this passage for the word φιλειδήμων "fond of learning".
Okay, found that, although the spelling is different, and they do qualify it with "probably." I'm not altogether convinced.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Robert Emil Berge

Post by Robert Emil Berge »

I don't have a new critical edition here, but I guess your quote is from Perseus, which is from the L. C. Purser edition from 1893. The Loeb edition from 1912 and the Winsteadt edition from 1928 both have φιλειδήμονα. None of the editions have any apparatus, so I don't know where φιληδείμονα came from, but it is reasonable that it is either a misprint or manuscript corruption.
Barry Hofstetter

Robert Emil Berge wrote: May 24th, 2017, 5:44 am I don't have a new critical edition here, but I guess your quote is from Perseus, which is from the L. C. Purser edition from 1893. The Loeb edition from 1912 and the Winsteadt edition from 1928 both have φιλειδήμονα. None of the editions have any apparatus, so I don't know where φιληδείμονα came from, but it is reasonable that it is either a misprint or manuscript corruption.
That does appear to be the most likely explanation.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin

Return to “Other Greek Texts”