Hebrews 2:15

Questions and discussion about B-Greek policies or the B-Greek forum.
3dearlabs

Hebrews 2:15

Post by 3dearlabs »

I have long thought that Hebrews 2:15 should be translated "to fear of death" instead of "through fear of death", to better coincide with Romans 8:15 ("slavery leading to fear again"). I am not a Greek scholar, and I was wondering if the Greek in this verse (Hebrews 2:15) somehow requires a "through" for the dative rather than a "to".
Jason Hare

Re: Hebrews 2:15

Post by Jason Hare »

3dearlabs wrote: July 19th, 2021, 11:17 pm I have long thought that Hebrews 2:15 should be translated "to fear of death" instead of "through fear of death", to better coincide with Romans 8:15 ("slavery leading to fear again"). I am not a Greek scholar, and I was wondering if the Greek in this verse (Hebrews 2:15) somehow requires a "through" for the dative rather than a "to".
Hello, "3dearlabs."

A couple of things:
  1. We don't allow anonymous posting on B-Greek. Please, read our policy on usernames here and let us know what your name is so that you can continue to post on the forum. We can change your name for you.
  2. If you're asking about Greek text, you should show the Greek text. We aren't as concerned with English translation as we are with how to understand a text.
  3. Are you interested in getting into Greek learning?
Welcome!
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

I have long thought that Hebrews 2:15 should be translated "to fear of death" instead of "through fear of death", to better coincide with Romans 8:15 ("slavery leading to fear again").
Heb. 2:15 καὶ ἀπαλλάξῃ τούτους, ὅσοι φόβῳ θανάτου διὰ παντὸς τοῦ ζῆν ἔνοχοι ἦσαν δουλείας.

Rom. 8:15 οὐ γὰρ ἐλάβετε πνεῦμα δουλείας πάλιν εἰς φόβον ἀλλὰ ἐλάβετε πνεῦμα υἱοθεσίας ἐν ᾧ κράζομεν· ἀββα ὁ πατήρ.
Are you suggesting that εἰς φόβον is somehow similar to φόβῳ? Similar in what manner?
C. Stirling Bartholomew
Bill Ross

Post by Bill Ross »

I feel most comfortable in the shallow end of the pool, but it appears that this article might possibly be related to the εἰς part of the equation:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Th ... frontcover

Apologies in advance if it proves to actually be unrelated.

Tangential, but:

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the NT forum?
What I lack in youth I make up for in immaturity.

Return to “Questions”