Is learning NT Greek solely for the New Testament useful for anything other than understanding a bit about how the New T

Resources and methods for teaching and learning New Testament Greek.
edwardcaldwell

Is learning NT Greek solely for the New Testament useful for anything other than understanding a bit about how the New T

Post by edwardcaldwell »

I mean, assuming you're not writing a grammar or a new translation. I don't know if this is the best place, but I'm not looking for opinions from language learning communities so I have come here as a way of refining the kinds of answers I get. I guess it goes for Ancient Hebrew as well.

Of what worth is New Testament Greek to me (i.e. "the rest of us" as there exists an aptly titled book.)

I have sort of had an small interest in potentially spending some time learning the language. I haven't done much about it, except learn the alphabet and develop some pronunciation skills. So I could probably recite from a Greek New Testament very poorly. But I'm really not sure what I would use it for. I have no issues with learning an ancient language, but I'd still want a small ROI. I'm not here looking for encouragement to learn or anything (I don't expect I would get that anyways) but I am just wondering if there is anything in it or not, for a person such as myself who will never be involved in any work where it's needed.

Thank you for your reads and responses in advance!
Brian Gould

Re: Is learning NT Greek solely for the New Testament useful for anything other than understanding a bit about how the N

Post by Brian Gould »

What Greek books would you like to be able to read once you’ve achieved a sufficient command of the language? If your answer is “First and foremost, the Bible,” then I’d say you’re making the right choice. But if you’re equally interested in reading Homer and Sophocles, Plato and Aristotle, and classical Greek literature in general, then there wouldn’t be much point in picking koine Greek.

My personal interest, as far as Greek goes, is pretty much in the Bible alone and nothing much else. I’m not motivated to go so deeply into the Oedipus plays, let’s say, that I would need to be able to read them in Greek rather than in translation. But the Bible, yes. The NT first with the Septuagint in second place, “in a supporting role” as they say in the Oscars.
Jason Hare

Re: Is learning NT Greek solely for the New Testament useful for anything other than understanding a bit about how the N

Post by Jason Hare »

From the inclusion of a link in the OP, I have a feeling that this is an AI bot. They are getting smarter and are now actually addressing questions of Greek. Mods are asked to watch for links in messages and to decided wisely about what to release to the forum.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “Teaching and Learning Greek”