Re: predicate adjectives

From: Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Feb 04 1997 - 12:10:27 EST

Interesting discussion!

I do have a couple of open questions about this passage in light of the
discussion:

1. Carlton says:
>It seems to me good to translate PASA GRAFH QEOPNEUSTOS KAI WFELIMOS PROS
>DIDASKALIAN PROS ELEGMON, PROS EPANORQWSIN. . . . as "Every God inspired
>and beneficial scripture is for reproof, for improvement. . . ."

Please help me understand the syntax here.

I am guessing that the traditional "Every scripture is inspired and
beneficial for..." thinks of this as: PASA GRAFH QEOPNEUSTOS KAI WFELIMOS
[ESTIN] PROS DIDASKALIAN PROS ELEGMON, PROS EPANORQWSIN. This is
grammatically possible, right?

Is this interpetation also grammatically possible?

PASA GRAFH QEOPNEUSTOS KAI WFELIMOS [ESTIN] PROS DIDASKALIAN PROS ELEGMON,
PROS EPANORQWSIN - "Every inspired scripture is beneficial for..."

It seems that Carlton's reading is equivalent to: PASA QEOPNEUSTOS KAI
WFELIMOS GRAFH PROS DIDASKALIAN [ESTIN], PROS ELEGMON, PROS EPANORQWSIN...
- is my understanding correct?

How many of these interpretations are grammatically possible? How many make
sense? How should I choose among them? One thing I like about Carlton's
explanation is that it restricts GRAFH to the inspired writings, which makes
sense, because clearly, not every writing is God-breathed or useful. As a
matter of fact, I'm quite certain I've posted some things to this forum
which were neither, but they were all, in fact, GRAFH!

2. Carlton says "the Pastor is trying to get the younger Pastor to use
scripture and tradition(PARADOSIS) to bring about more mature concepts
(hUGIAINOUSHS DIDASKALIAS [4:3]) in the church." Is the word PARADOSIS used?
I looked briefly, but sometimes I'm a blind little Greek.

3. The original mail included this question:

>This passage speaks as much of preservation as it does
>inspiration. What think ye?

Preservation? Where is the concept of preservation raised?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie
Ph: 919.598.5728 Fax: 919.598.6728