Re: [compost_tea] Forest Floors

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 21:03:22 EDT

Hi Mike -

Where exactly were you hiking? The grey gritty later could be the ash from
St. Helens, or from Mt. Mazama when it went off. East side of the mountains in
Oregon, the Mazama eruption is more likely. These ash layers are not
typically high in fungi.

Or, it could be E horizon. Wet forest systems develop E horizons, which are
very high in fungi, and roots, without much of any other biology present. I
don't believe anyone knows why these layers develop - although I have not kept
up in forest floor development in recent years.

President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
www.soilfoodweb.com
SFI Oregon, USA
SFI Australia
SFI New York
SFI Europe
SFI New Zealand

"Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn out well,
but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no matter how things
turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech Republic