Re: [compost_tea] mycorrhizae questions

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:30:42 EDT

In a recent post, someone wrote:
> Mycorrhizae is an envirnmental state created by the presence of
> mycorrhizal fungus. Mycorrhizae is a beneficial fungus not a
> bacteria. You need to match the mycorrhizae specie with the plant
> that it associates with. That is why a multiple specie mycorrhizae
> product is important to use. The guesswork has been taken out of the
> process. Plant Success is good for 99% of all the plants ggrowing on
> earth because of its blend of species and types(endo and ecto). The
> commercial products do not work on the rhodedendrum or orchid plant
> families.

Mycorrhizae are not "an environmental state". What do you mean by
"environmental state" when referring to a symbiosis?

The term mycorrhizae is Latin, and translates as "fungus-root". Mycorrhizae
are an interaction of a fungus with a root, and as such a symbiosis of both
organisms. There is no such thing as a mycorrhizae species, since there cannot
be a fungus-root interaction which is made up of a single species. By
definition a mycorrhizae has to be two species - the fungus and the root.

The singular of bacteria is bacterium.

VAM rarely need to be matched with the grass or vegetable crop species, as
these fungi have broad plant host range. Ectomycorrhizal fungi can be host
specific, and some care is required. A good source of information about which
mycorrhizal fungi colonize different plant species can be found at
www.mycorrhizae.com. Mike Allen has written several books, as well as Bob Lindeman, which
can be used as resource material for this information as well.

Most of the brassica plant species (mustards, cole and kale crop species) are
not mycorrhizal under any circumstances, and I imagine that these species
comprise more than 1% of the plant species on this planet. Most of the CROP
species humans grow require mycorrhizal fungi, so perhaps that is what you meant.

I know at least two commercial inocula of mycorrhizal spores that work on
rhododendron. How do I know? We've tested them. A couple rhodies so inoculated
are living in my yard. I am not aware of anyone offering commercial inocula o
f mycorrhizal fungi for orchids, as far as I know and I guess I missed anyone
making that claim.

Since I have sprayed mycorrhizal spores at up to 600 psi pressure, and had
the spores germinate and grow, I have evidence that these SPORES survive
pressure and passage through pumps without harm.

Once the spores germinate, the story is very different. But spores? They
are dormant stages of fungi, and as such, quite resistant to environmental
impacts.

Tom W wrote:
> Mycorrhizae spores can be harmed by pressure. Spryaing mycorrhizae
> spores with pressurized equipment can harm the spores. Sure some may
> make it through a sraying, but why take a chance when there are other
> ways of delivery.

> Mycorrhizae is not already on the plants we buy.

The word mycorrhizae is plural. The singular is mycorrhiza. Mis-use of
terminology worries me, especially from someone who apparently sells mycorrhizal
inocula.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
www.soilfoodweb.com
SFI Oregon, USA
SFI Australia
SFI New York
SFI Europe
SFI New Zealand

"Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn out well,
but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no matter how things
turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech Republic