Re: [compost_tea] Mycorrhizal Fungi

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:40:47 EDT

Mike asked -

> What about putting the mychorizae spores through an irrigation system?
> Spores added to the AACT at end of brewing time then through the irrigation
> system so is delivered direct to the roots.
> Regards Mike Harvey.

Only if the irrigation actually applies the spores to the roots. So, an
irrigation system in the ground, so the spores are applied right to the roots?
Then ok.

But if the irrigation is above ground, and the spores have to pass through
the soil or through organic matter, then probably will have problems getting the
spores to the root. SOMETIMES, if using a sand medium, the spores will pass
through the sand. I recall Bob Ames telling me that spores would wash through
sand with low or little organic matter. Maybe? Could always try and see.

It is organic matter that retains spores. No organic matter, the spores
should move into the soil.

Elaine
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
www.soilfoodweb.com
SFI Oregon, USA
SFI Australia
SFI New York
SFI Europe
SFI New Zealand

"Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn out well,
but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no matter how things
turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech Republic