RE: [compost_tea] Mycorrhizae (was:brewing native microbes)

From: Ryan, Matthew <matthew.ryan_at_rodaleinst.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 13:20:01 -0400

Chris and others,

I agree with your misnomer statement. This article is about mycorrhizae
and as far as the native part I guess they are only native for us here
at the farm were they were originally isolated from.

I have discussed the possibilities of practical approaches to using
mycorrhizae in large scale farming systems with Dave Douds. One of the
techniques that we are hoping to test out is to use the inoculum mix at
planting by incorporating it with the seed in the planter box. The only
potential problems are the mixture clogging up the seed dispenser or the
mixture settling down and not being dispersed evenly. This idea is very
similar to inoculating legume seeds with Rhizobium. This would also
work with really good vermicompost or any fine material full of
inoculum.

Of course it would be best if you did not need to inoculate with
mycorrhizae in the first place. One of the best things that people can
do to help out the native mycorrhizae that they already have in their
fields is to plant a winter hardy cover crop, like rye. By having the
living roots for the mycorrhizae to live on over the winter greatly
increases the rate and amount of colonization in following spring on the
desired cash crop.

Also, I have a question for Elaine. What about crop rotations? This
theory is very similar to Japan's Natural Farming. In Natural Farming
they use the same field for the same crops year after year. The idea is
that the soil will start to "like" or "appreciate" the plant that is
continually grown in it, and the soil will then accommodate for this
plant. My question is how does what you said about different soils for
different plants fit into the concept of crop rotations?

Elaine Wrote:
"But if you know that the soil is growing great carrots, then you are
pretty well assured that that soil has good organisms in it. So, use
that soil. For carrots. Will it be good for corn? Maybe not. Carrot
soil has organisms that carrots have selected for, and you need to
develop a good corn soil."

Respectfully,

Matthew Ryan
Research Technician