Re: [compost_tea] Re: Air Required

From: kevin john richardon <kmagic_at_backpacker.com>
Date: 3 Oct 2003 07:22:20 -0000

I want to.

Suggestions, how?

I am of the opinion that you may as well know how much (mg/L O2) your water volume can possibly hold. There exists a chart on this. The highest numerical value representing O2 that water can hold is what? Like 20-22 mg/L (who's got the number). Then you look at the chart and based on limiting factors such as H2O temp and atmosheric pressure (altitude)(maybe barometric pressure may also influence?) you can figure out how much O2 the water is capableof holding. Or, you've got yur volume of H2O, start aerating, measure DO with yur meter, add more air (another air pump), see if it goes up, if so, add another air pump, etc... until you max out, now you know how much air that sucker can hold.

My feeling is that you always keep the most air that your water will hold in your brew. This maximizes your potential for the growth of aerobic organisms. Dr, E has set the lower threshold at 5.5. Why not just keep it as high as possible (air pump economics)? This is a variable we can control. hip hip. We get the MOST aerobic organisms we possibly can in OUR water when the air is maximized.

So now youve got the most air possible, you know that.

Now you can begin increasing the amount of nutrient put into the tea (I am not adressing the amount or quality of compost starter material). If the DO Meter even flinches, stick another air pump in the tea.

I believe if the quantity of nutrient is increased incrementally, from one brew to the next, we will eventually find the point of diminishing returns (at least for that specific location and volume of H2O). COOL.

Will this found point be due to the turbulence of the water, incurred on the growing environment by the air bubbles? (Just a sidebar- Bob and I tested DO of a set volume of water. we tested using the same air pump. first we used the Bob O diffuser which in our opinion creates big air bubbles. Next we used an air stone diffuser which made tiny bubbles. No difference in DO measurement! I am not disproving anything, anybody, just observation. Although what may be relevant to my letter is that small bubbles are seemingly less violent, cause less disturbance, turbulence of the water. Are they rising to the surface slower? Does this mean the water pumping action created by the aeration is diminished, resulting in less/poorer circulation of the H2O/tea brew?)Will the limiting factor become available space?