Re: [compost_tea] dilution/application rate for very sm qty of CT

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 00:38:46 -0400

OK, let's go over this again.

DILUTION is NOT what you want to think about. What you have to have is COVERAGE of the leaf surfaces.

OK, got that?

Get dilution off your brains. Exit it as a consideration.

The reason we have said 5 GALLONS PER ACRE is so, with a typical, adequate tea, that contains the levels of bacteria and fungi that I talk about, you will adequately cover the leaf surface so the leaf surface will be covered and protect that leaf surface from all the bad things.

If you have organism numbers too low, you won't get coverage. If you dilute inappropriately, you won't get coverage.

So, 5 gal/ac is how much per bush? Can I make the estimate that most rose bushes cover about 1/100th of an acre.

So, 0.05 gal per bush. Which is about 2 ounces or 13 ml.

But you can't evenly apply 2 ounces to a bush, so how much water do you need to cover the bush evenly? Shall we say 1 gallon?

So, add 2 ounces, or 13 ml of tea to 1 gallon of water (remember to de-gas the chlorine!), and apply the gallon (plus 13 ml of tea) to the whole bush.

Assuming I got the 1/100th of an acre per bush right, the 5 gallons is going to cover alot of bushes.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY