Re: [compost_tea] My homemade brewer and such

From: David Loring <dloring3_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 20:43:26 -0700

Thanks John, great info. Dave
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: J+K Delvas
  To: Composttea
  Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2003 5:51 PM
  Subject: [compost_tea] My homemade brewer and such

  In case anyone is remotely curious, this is my homemade brewer, compost a=
nd
  microbe foods.
  I got most of my components from www.aquaticeco.com

  I use a 3.25 lpm Whitewater Linear Air Pump. For diffusers I use 2, 12"
  Sweetwater medium pore diffusers. Bubble size for those is 1-3 mm. I conn=
ect
  the air pump to the diffusers with 1/2 inch pvc. The diffusers have 1/2 N=
PT.
  The compost goes into 2, 30 inch long mesh filter socks. The tank is a 50
  gallon root beer concentrate barrel. The CT is really moved well with the
  air alone. Good agitation through the compost in the mesh socks.

  The water starts out warm and is kept that way with a 300 watt submersibl=
  heater that is mounted to the airline pvc in the tank. The whole thing co=
mes
  apart super easy and cleans up quick.

  This year I used a combination of Alaska Humus, and vermicompost from Orn=
er
  Farms. My microbe foods were Humic acid, fulvic acid, liquid kelp, and so=
me
  liquid fish. I adjusted my hard water pH with Phosphoric acid. After the
  brew was done I added Nufilm and preservative free Yucca.

  Never had my TEA tested. But it seems to work just fine. All my plants we=
re
  very healthy this year. I applied the CT every 14 days from beginning to =
end
  of season.

  Approximate cost of my stuff,

  Air pump $170.00
  Diffusers $30.00
  PVC and fittings $5.00
  Barrel $5.00
  Mesh socks $16.00
  AH and Orner compost $120.00 (1/2 for shipping)
  Kelp $60.00 2.5 gallon
  Humic/fulvic 2.5 gallon $50.00
  Liquid fish $30.00 1.0 gallon
  Phos acid $15.00 quart
  Yucca $30.00 quart
  Nufilm $40.00 1 gallon
  total $571.00

  John

  Oh yea, I started out spraying with a 25 gallon, battery powered sprayer
  from Northern tool. But I found that dropping a submersible pump into the
  brew tank and spraying with garden hose and regular nozzle was much easie=
r.
  Can get some pretty good size chunks through the regular old garden nozzl=
e.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor