Re: [compost_tea] Re: Air Required - Other

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 22:32:30 -0700 (PDT)

I just answered most of your questions in the last mail. I'll re check here

dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com> wrote:--- Hey Bob, That's exciting! What model meter did you use and when Extech only makes on at near $400. I guess they offer one for more with a redording system. That sounds worth it to me now. and how did you calibrate it? Did you monitor the tea continuously Yes but did not record continuously
or take grab samples (if so how often?) or dangle the probe in the
tea in the middle or on top (with agitation)? Aggitation is essential to read. Static and the probe goes WAY down. By hanging in very active pare of the ACT the probe reads right. We found NO "dead" spots in the system. Just wondering, as I'd
like to get an O2 meter but don't want to spend $400 on one and find
out it's inadequate or worse, not precise. What assumptions did you
make in designing the test? We assumned we would learn something. What did we learn? the same thing researchers always learn - we need more tests!! Dennis

In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_y...> wrote:
> Kirk We just fiished 9 ACTt runs in the SFI lab 3 identical
machines, identical quntities of compost, identical nutrients. We
recorded DO2 readings near the low points of the O2 use curve of
3.2, 7.8, 5.7 Not a constant variation but a typical variation.

> Our conclusion up to this point is that O2 demand is extremely
variable depending on compost and/or nutrients. There are so many
variables including the compost itself there may be only one way to
select O2 input SYTEM :
> . PUT IN MUCH MORE AIR THAN IS NORMALLY NEEDED MOST OF THE TIME TO
HAVE ENOUGH WHEN THE DEMAND IS HIGHEST. THE DEMAND IS NOT
PREDICTABLE. UNLESS YOU SETTLE ON ONE COMPOST THAT STAYS THE SAME,
ONE STANDARD NUTRIENT, ONE STANDARD TEMP. AND THEN OPERATE SEVERAL
CYCLES WHLE RECORDING THE O2 REQUIRED THRUOUT THE ENTIRE RECYCLE.