[compost_tea] When is it advertising and when is it adding to our body of knowledge?

From: chris reid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:02:47 -0400

Bob Norsen said:
This ain't advertising. Sometimes I think we are shooting our image in the
foot.

>From your description of the tests you are going to do, I don't think it's
advertising, Bob. You are providing a very valuable input by doing tests
and describing the results. Thank you. I learned a lot from the exchanges
on your recent Corvallis series, and look forward to hearing more about
either that series or your tests in the future. I agree that sometimes you
are shooting your image in the foot, but my opinion is that these tests are
not an example of it.

Your equipment is different from some other brewers in that it requires that
the brewer purchaser also select the appropriate container size/shape to
produce the results intended. That size/shape can vary, couldn't it be a
confounding factor in people trying to replicate their teas? I mean, if
someone makes a 10 gallon brew and gets x results, and tries to do the
"same thing" at 25 gallons and gets something different, using the same
brewer and similar compost/food quantities and types. Also on Sunday, could
you please post the info on supplemental pumps for your brewers?

I don't recall reading any recommendations when I bought my Bitti as to
container size/shape. Can you make any recs now, or call my attention to
previous recommendations I may have missed? Paul Sachs wrote earlier in the
year that the researcher from Cornell was having trouble replicating his
test results but was getting some results in the field -- I wondered at the
time whether container size/shape could be a piece of the difference, and it
sounds like it does affect DO levels. At the same time, I have learned from
my efforts to brew AACT this summer that simply FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS to
replicate a recipe somebody gives you requires more painstaking effort than
it first appeared. Measuring - what a concept.

Anyhow -- I am tremendously appreciative of what you are doing of late and
look forward to hearing about the results of the tests you are about to do.

Thanks,

Chris Reid

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511