Re: [compost_tea] Re: Re: measuring aeration

From: David Loring <dloring3_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:26:18 -0700

What do you expect will happen to dissolved Oxygen in this test?

It sems to me everything going on in teas is related to concentrations and =
temperature. Temperature increases both the growth rate, doubling the rate=
 of bacterial growth every 10*C within limits and given lots of food, and a=
lso in providing energy that speeds up the way bacteria bump into their fo=
od and air. With that in mind you need to first describe the capacity of t=
he smaller machine to demonstrate that the air supply is just enough to kee=
p the bacteria growing until they run out of food without stress from lack =
of Oxygen which is described by Elaine as 6ppm or 70-80% of dissolved Oxyge=
n.

 If you already know that and you're making a brew with peak Oxygen demand =
dipping to 6ppm somewhere out around 12 hours at 75*F, then the answer to t=
he main question of what happens when you dilute the whole system to 50 gal=
lons seems to be that everything will happen slower and DO will not decreas=
e as much. But again, that implies that the ingredients for the small brew=
 were, as Goldilocks said, just right! If you're starting off in the small=
 machine with more Oxygen than you need and there is no strong dip to 6ppm =
then the transition to the larger machine will be different. If the smaller=
 system is supercharged with air, food and starting bacteria then the resul=
ting dilution to 50 gals may still show a significant demand for Oxygen but=
 you will not have answered the question as clearly. At least that's how I=
 see it.

Good luck with your test, every piece of information makes the puzzle more =
clear. Thank you Internet.

Dave