[compost_tea] Re:phytopthora root ro

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:38:04 -0700

Ro? Ro who? Ro wha? Much has been researched and written about
vermicomposts dealing well with phytophthora, verticillia and fusaria, too,
and in my experience they can definitely do that and more, without dolomite,
super phosphates or gypsum. What's in between the lines here?

> Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 02:15:34 -0000
> From: "dloring3" <dloring3_at_cox.net>
> Subject: phytopthora root ro

> For anyone working on Phytopthora

> Dave

> Suppressive Soils

> Much has been written about suppressive soils with respect to avocado
root rot (Borst, 1983; Broadbent and Baker, 1974;

> Downer, 1998; Halsall, 1982, Ko and Shiroma, 1989; Pegg et al., 1982;
Turner and Menge, 1994). Avocado root rot

> suppressive soils occur naturally. For example, natural rainforest
habitats were suppressive to avocado root rot and a

> complex method called the Ashburner method was created to duplicate
the suppressive rainforest soils (Broadbent and

> Baker, 1974). The Ashburner method consisted of cover cropping,
applications of manure, dolomite, and super-phosphate,

> and the addition of organic matter. Today the method has been
modified to provide only the key ingredients,

> which are organic mulches and gypsum. High populations of bacteria
and actinomycetes (Broadbent and Baker, 1974) or

> cellulose and lignin degraders (Downer, 1998) are naturally
stimulated to create the suppressive soils. As we learn more

> about the factors that create suppressive soils, this term will lose
its mystique and we will speak of specific suppressive

> factors. Certain bacteria, such as some species of Pseudomonas and
Chromobacterium violaceum, are required to stimu-late

> sporangial production of P. cinnamomi, while other bacteria are
inhibitory (Erwin and Ribeiro, 1996; Zentmyer,

> 1980). Specifically, microorganisms such as Myrothecium roridum,
Trichoderma harzianum, Epiccocum purpurascens,

> Catenaria anguillae, Humicola fuscoatra, Anguillospora
pseudolongissma, Hypochytrium catenoides, Myrothecium ver-rucaria,

> Streptomyces griseoalbus, Micromonospora carbonacea, Streptomyces
violascens, and Ceraceomyces tessulatus

> have been shown to be inhibitory to P. cinnamomi via competition,
antibiosis, or parasitism (Downer, 1998, Erwin and

> Ribeiro, 1996). The complex community structure of microorganisms
like these is undoubtedly responsible for the fact

> that some soils are suppressive while others are not. Zentmyer (1980)
draws attention to the fact that populations of P.

> cinnamomi usually drop off dramatically after the first wave of root
rot occurs. He feels this may occur as parasites of P.

> cinnamomi and other antagonistic microorganisms invade and make the
soil more suppressive. <

Dave -- Huh? This feels like a walk in the weeds. Where are you heading
with this?

Soils with healthy biological food webs and good organic content seem a lot
more attractive than suppresive soils, whatever they may be. High-chem soils
seem most suppresive to me.

If you have a straightforward compost tea solution to "P" root rot, which I
take to be phytophthora, why don't you just say so, less dolomite,
phosphates and gypsum?

-- Kirk L
15 gal .5 a/w homebuilt ACT and 5 gal modified bioblender nutrient tea
machines...

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!