[compost_tea] worms

From: poulsbokid <poulsbokid_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 07:30:36 -0000

I knew it would take a while but I have found the information again
about worms not being native and died during the ice age.

Here is part of the article and I will post the link.

In much of North America, worms are not the ancient natives many
people assume. They are exotic and relatively recent invaders.

North of a line that stretches from Washington state to New York,
with a dip below the Great Lakes, native earthworms vanished about
10,000 years ago, scientists think, swept away by the receding
glaciers of the last Ice Age.

The first nonnative worms were brought to the region by early
explorers, in the soil-ballast of their ships, the manure of their
horses. Others were loosed in forests more recently by woodland
homeowners planting greenery whose potted soil contained worms and,
perhaps most dramatically, by fishermen dumping bait at the end of
the day.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2001768190_worms17.h
tml

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511