Re: [compost_tea] Re: fungal foods for worms

From: Stuart Baxter <stu.baxter_at_virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:26:49 +0100

Yeh, that's just what I said :o}

"Talking about worms and chickens in this context it's worth remembering th=
at *neither have teeth*.

If a food won't break down to very small particles or go soft it won't pass=
 through a worm. A better bet might just be the addition of rock dust to th=
e worm bin food supply to act as a grinding agent in the digestive system o=
f the worm.

Chickens need grit in their gizzard in the same way: to grind up the food. =
A good chicken grit should supply all the calcium it needs - if it doesn't,=
 and I've seen it happen, you get eggs laid in just the membrane; no shell!=
"

Trying to point out that large bits of hard material in a worm environment =
will just sit there as an obstacle; grind it up nice and small and it will =
at least pass through a worms digestive system if snacked on.

Be well

Stuart