[compost_tea] grapevine planting

From: Anthony <boofq_at_wn.com.au>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:43:02 +0800

I am planting 20 hectares of vines next week and am trying to put together =
the most efficient program to inoculate the rootlings. The drip irrigation =
is to be commissioned after planting so fertigation of ACT at planting cant=
 occur. The two options we have is to:
1- physically dunk bundles of vines into fresh tea just prior to being put =
into the ground or
2- butt drench after planting.
The client is stretched with personnel so we are leaning toward option 1.
I have a KIS 20L brewer on hand and am thinking of starting a brew the nigh=
t before as to be ready for planting the next day. Now a few questions:
- Given that about 1200 vines (24 bundles of 50) would be planted per hour,=
 would it be feasible to remove say 2 litres at a time from the mature tea =
every hour or so, dilute that to 20 litres to become the "dunking" vessel w=
hilst leaving the mature tea to brew for the rest of the day? How long will=
 the dunking vessel remain viable?
- should the mature tea be topped up with more water and/or food sources as=
 to allow for enough tea to last the days work?
- I thought this would be better than having 100's of litres of tea sitting=
 around all day unaerated, but this is also an option?
- would an application through irrigation or butt drenching post planting =
be just as beneficial as the method described?
- the area is going to have multiple applications thru the growing season b=
oth foliar and soil

any thoughts group?
AQ