Re: [compost_tea] Re: Getting Oxygen into Tea and Preserving Fungi At The Same Time

From: Jeff Lowenfels <jeff_at_gardener.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 09:50:01 -0900

I read with interest the discussion on air bubbles, roiling tanks etc. Agai=
n, I hope the "average" tea maker here is not discouraged: Almost all comm=
ercial machines have been tested and provide adequate air to make aerobic t=
eas. The exception, judging from the published tests are the Soilsoup teas.=
  My point: You don't need to go out and get a 400 dollar oxygen meter nor =
even experiment with different foods. It has all been done for you. If you =
are not getting fungi in your teas, then you don't have it in your compost/=
 humus, haven't tried to activate it first or are using a soil soup machine=
.It has nothing to do with oxygen if you followed instructions.

Cheers,

Jeff

P.S. home-made machines are a lot of fun and so is making huge brews. Howe=
ver, they need to be tested before you know if you have good tea. I see lot=
s of talk about what the tea looks like as it is roiling in the tank, but n=
ot many test results. Fungi, in particular, are pretty easy to destroy by =
roiling water....So, let's get some test data out here.