[compost_tea] compost tea as fertilizer vs. inoculum

From: chris reid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 19:44:16 -0500

Unless I missed something, I think the NPK discussion has not to do with any
misconception about tea as a fertilizer but rather to do with my
recommendation that Oliver, in the context of his using compost tea in a
school project, learn as much as he can about his soil, including but not
limited to soil test for minerals and pH, as a baseline starting point, so
he can begin to understand what tea does and doesn't do, and use it as ONE
of the tools in his garden care. I suggested offline that he take a look at
the NRCS soil quality test kit info and the book Secrets to Great Soil for
any other tests that might help him get a handle on what was happening in
his soil, like drainage, compaction, and so on. The purpose for testing the
soil's mineral levels has nothing to do with believing compost tea is a
fertilizer. In fact, I specifically stated to Oliver that it is NOT a
fertilizer, it is an inoculum.

Does that address your point about NPK, Ted? Or was there another place
where tea came up as a fertilizer? (BTW, thanks very much for sharing your
thoughts and considerations re: how you are producing fungal and bacterial
components of your tea -- appreciated)

Chris Reid

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511