[compost_tea] Re: Begginer help

From: hi_yield1 <hi_yield1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 05:29:30 -0000

Hey Oliver,
If you have or know of a peat bog nearby go dig some up. If you can
find that primordial stew layer that's what you want. Don't worry to
much about the science of it all. Even the so called experts with
there very expensive fertility test don't fully understand the numbers
and how much is to much or to what degree it will or won't work.
Those things you need to observe for yourself. If it works you will
know. Add as much of a variety of organic material to your soil
and the rest should take cafe of itself. Again don't be dazzeled by
the numbers they sometimes are only a marketing tool designed to sell
a product. Good luck.
--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, oliver hauver <enoc2222_at_y...>
wrote:
> Hi
> i know that
> what i am trying to say is i am trying to make a mix easily that i
can afford yet be good enugh(and containg the right foods.ect) to grow
good bateria/fungi.ect
> as i said before I (yes I) will be paying for all the materials for
the compost tea and $8.50 for each batch is just to expensive for me
at this point in time
> (maybe somtime in the future i could but not now)
> all i am asking is if any body out there has made a easy to make mix
that is afordible and the materials are easil to abtain and are not to
expensive
> Thanks
> Oliver
>
> soilfoodweb_at_a... wrote:
> I've been traveling for the last week plus, so haven't been
answering e-mails. Probably won't have time to go back through the
listings to the site either, so if there were questions I needed to
answer, please send them to me.

> But I read Tom J's reply to beginner help, and the lesson is real.
>
> If you want to spend quite a bit of money to figure out what the
appropriate amount of food to add to make good tea (good tea defined
by the ORGANISMS you are growing in the tea, not the inorganic
chemicals in the tea!), then go ahead.

> But please realize, Oliver, that compost tea is beneficial NOT
because of N-P-K, but BECAUSE IT CONTAINS THE BIOLOGY KILLED BY TOXIC
CHEMICAL USE. Your soil (which should often just be called dirt if it
does not contain beneficial soil life) and plant surfaces have
insignificant levels of beneficial organisms left if toxic chemcials
have been applied.

> Got that? It's the biology. Not the chemicals.
>
> You want N-P-K? Go buy a chemical fertilizer. Lots of N-P-K there.
>
> But you are just killing more of your biology when you use high
concentrations of N-P-K. You just make the whole situation worse, if
you use inorganic fertilizers or toxic chemicals. Soluble inorganic
N, P, ok K, as measured by the soil fertility kit you bought at the
store, should read practically ZERO in a good tea.

> Why? Because the bacteria and fungi growing so rapidly in your tea
should have tied up all the soluble inorganic N, P, and K in their
biomass. The fact that you had measurable N, P, or K says you weren't
making really good tea.

> It's the biology that needs to be put back.
>
> And you need ALL the biology - not just bacteria.
>
> If you were signed up for the SFI e-zine, you would have seen that
SFI offered a coupon for HALF-OFF the tea test in the November e-zine.
 You might want to go sign up, and get your teas run at half price
while the offer still stands.

> --------------------
> There are "compost tea" machines on the market that only leave you
with anaerobic bacteria. And make no mistake, even those sorry set of
critters can improve dead dirt.

> But anaerobic tea returns only the first miniscule part of the soil
foodweb to the soil. But every journey starts with a single step.
So, step miniscule-part-of one.

> Actively aerated compost tea machines return the good-guy bacteria,
the good-guy fungi, protozoa and some nematodes (depending on what is
in the compost). You get steps one, two, three, four, five, six,
seven and sometimes eight.

> What do you want to spend your money on? Something that won't
return but a tiny benefit, or something that will move you well down
the road? With repeated applications, using good compost, will get
you to "Go, Collect Your Money"

> When you buy a coffee maker, do you then try to make your own beans,
your own milk and sugar mix? No. You follow the directions of the
manufacturer.

> So, with the tea machines, buy the manufacturer's starting mix.
>
> Figure out what is in the manufacturer's material, which you can do
with time and a good nose. See what amounts the manufacturer used to
make the tea machine you bought work right. THEN start fooling
around, if you have time. Once your plants are growing so much
better, you probably will be spending your time where you should -
harvesting your crop, selling a better tasting crop and figuring out
what you want to grow next year.

> What others plants could you be successful with, now that you know
how to fix your soil?

> Elaine Ingham
> President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
> SFI Corvallis, OR
> SFI Port Jefferson, NY
> SFI Lismore, NSW, Australia
> SFI Hilversum, The Netherlands
> SFI Cambridge, New Zealand
> www.soilfoodweb.com
>
> Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

> compost_tea-unsubscribe_at_yahoogroups.com

Service.

Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!