[compost_tea] Soaker Hose Air Diffuser

From: Ryan, Matthew <matthew.ryan_at_rodaleinst.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 08:56:56 -0500

Hello Folks,

Just thought it would be a good idea to discuss the issue of using
soaker hoses for aeration.

"According to Dr. Draper, some of the compounds (in the form of
molecules) given off by the tires are extremely harmful. They are as
harmful as Clopyralid, found in most yard waste (often used in
composting), which is toxic at 1 part per billion." TP

Most soaker hoses, at least the one I use, are made from recycled tires.
Thus with the information Ted provided, should people using soaker hoses
(for aeration or irrigation) be concerned about contaminating their tea
or soil? In my experience NO, but I don't have anything to compare this
to, aka control treatment without soaker hose. I have made tea with a
soaker hose diffuser, tested the tea, and results were decent.

"What tea brewer uses old tire parts? I think you are very wise to
avoid that tea brewer!" EI

So what about John Evan's little brewer? Doesn't he use a soaker hose
for aeration? Should people avoid using his brewer? (please excuse me
if his 1 gallon brewer does not utilize a soaker hose air diffuser).

So in the recycling process does something happen to the tires that
makes them less toxic? Should people avoid using soaker hoses for
irrigation?

I actually have a custom batch of tea going right now in a home made
bucket bubbler utilizing a soaker hose. I will be sending a sample to
Paul Wagner this afternoon. The recipe used was specifically designed
for fungal tea, and will be tested for total and active bacteria and
fungi. If people are interested I would be glad to provide the list
with the results, the recipe, and brewer specifications.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew Ryan
Research Technician
The Rodale Institute