[compost_tea] Re: info on composting system

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 01:46:46 -0000

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Mike Harvey" <mharvey_at_w...>
wrote:
> I have been aproached by a quasi govt organisation regarding
helping set up a integrated waste management and fertility management
system.
> Is there any one out there who has done this already or know of a
system in place already that will save us reinventing the
wheel?????????.
> The objective is to reduce utrophication of waterways (from
excessive fert) , manage waste from the farm in an economic manner as
well as increase profitability and improve quality of produce from
the farm.
> The system we invisage is as follows.
> Dairy Farm
> Manure from the cows would be composted in a static compost heap
using forced air to help breakdown.

Mike if you could layer, with the manure some dry, hi fiber plant
materials which are not finely chopped, you could probably keep the
pile aerobic esp. with addition of forced air. Dennis

> This stack would likely go anaerobic and would need to be left for
some time to break down 6 months to a year perhaps. This partially
composted product would than be fed to worms to form vermi compost.
This product would then be used to make compost tea or liquified
vermicompost and sprayed onto the pasture thus completing the cycle.
> We plan to do Soil and compost Food web testing and hope to be able
to show improvements in the soil food web using this system.
> The system must be simple and must be economic, there will be
funding to develop this system over the next few years with a budget
to include SFI testing to tune the system.
> Any help would be appreciated, I imagine the Kiwis will have
something like this in existence already so if you can help please
let us know.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511