[compost_tea] Some people!

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:46:01 -0500

Check out this "research" from Woods End.

How about some data, fella?

At least when I say something about tea in the e-zine, I generally show the data to support it. Not Woods End - just makes claims. Unsubstantiated claims.

And of course, the "tea brewer" used is the Growing Solutions machine. The Growing Solutions machine can't maintain adequate aeration during brewing, so we all know it's a problem.

How would Will Brinton of Woods End like to read a little on the topic of compost tea before blasting away? Think the guy is just a touch biased?

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY
SFI Lismore, NSW, Australia
SFI Hilversum, The Netherlands
SFI Cambridge, New Zealand
www.soilfoodweb.com

Woods End scientists completed a compost tea study which suggests that forced aeration of the tea has no significant effect on longevity or survival of potentially pathogenic E. coli present in compost teas. The project tested commercial tea extraction equipment and compared to European methods in which there is only intermittent stirring. "Since E. coli is capable of aerobic growth, it will multiply in the presence of foodstuffs and oxygen, contrary to what popular literature on compost teas suggests", said the reports authors. When E.coli was spiked into aerated teas, it continued to persist past the term of extraction, the research shows. "European methods without aeration performed as well as aerated" said Dr. Brinton. According to Woods End, "a real danger may exist in the use of immature composts plus added sugars or nutrients, since this provides ideal conditions for growth of potentially pathogenic facultative organisms". When used according to instructions and with c
 omposts provided with purchased extraction kits, the commercial technology teas produced were safe, according to Woods End. "What we are saying is users should not be misled to think aeration alone prevents growth of potential pathogens- it will not especially in the case of E.coli." said Brinton. The report is presently being reviewed by the Compost Tea Task Force under the NOSB. Brinton's Lab and the USDA Microbiology Lab in Beltsville have undertaken a second series of joint-research projects in an attempt verify these preliminary findings.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511