Re: [compost_tea] Herb and Weed Tea Query

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:18:37 -0800

What was the "smell" they were looking for? If it smells like a cow's stom=
ach(s), it is useless.

The medical properties of herbs has been weel documented. Check out Jethro=
 Kloss' "Back to Eden" for a list of how these herbal teas have been used t=
raditionally.

So let's say that sage shows a high resistance to certain types of insects.=
  A tea made up of sage might transfer the active repellant to other plants=
. I don't know what the longevity of this would be. Tobacco has been used=
 for centuries as an insecticide and it is in tea form when applied.

As far as O2, functional aerobes do not break down plant matter quite like =
functional anaerobes so the addition of O2 might mitigate the smell somewha=
t but I don't see where it would aid the bacteria that cause plant cellular=
 breakdown. The bacteria that break down plant material like high temperat=
ures. I guess if you heated the air, it may help but you would need to tes=
t it to make sure. I would think that the anaerobic conditions they are cr=
eating in the "tea" would do more to break down the plant material and addi=
ng O2 may actually inhibit the breakdown.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth