[compost_tea] Re: Re: Some People... some good news

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:33:25 -0800

In hunting for the Brinton data I re-read the "abstract" Doc E sent 11/12
and realized there was actually some good news buried in the middle of it,
which others may have already appreciated... to wit:

> When used according to instructions and with composts provided with
purchased extraction kits, the commercial technology teas produced were
safe, according to Woods End. <

Literally the most positive statement about ACT I've heard from Brinton or
this whole USNOP bunch (NOSB generally is positive and supportive, btw). If
the good doc and his lab keeps this up, I might eat every unkind word I ever
uttered...

Anybody found data for the full statement? I mean ya gotta know at least
several things - temps, times, DO levels, quality-quantity-content of
compost, nutrients (I liked "foodstuffs" - quaint - feels like a covered
wagon:), water/air volumes, what spikes, how tests were done - many are
implied... there should be lots of data somewhere? Did stirred "European"
teas get same "foodstuffs?" Hope not...

Hendrikus Schraven, as I understand it, uses and may sell modified GSI
machines that work better than originals. He also uses and may sell several
other machines and does sell and use special nutrients his company has
developed, and always uses quality compost. In dozens of tests, Doc E has
found, and reported, GSI machines won't make a good fungal tea, so she calls
them bacterial tea makers. Since most pathogens and ecoli are bacteria,
there's an extra risk with standard GSI machines, hmm? If you wanted to
prove you could grow ecoli in tea, it's a good machine to do it with.
Personally, I think it's a matter of not enough air, as with SoilSoup
bioblenders, but I still use one for nutrient teas, and modified GSI
machines can be managed to work well, too.

Ted - on saying this it occurs to me the use of bacterial tea for pathogen
control is simply overwhelming nasty ones with volumes of good ones,
competing for same food sources... Is it as simple as that? Hey, talk
about back to basics, duh, but that hasn't been obvious about animal
pathogens until now. Thanks for the insight. Would like to hear more.

Kirk L

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511