Re: [compost_tea] Herb and Weed Tea Query

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:03:01 EST

Aerobic decomposition is usually "complete" - in other words, the final
products are CO2 and water. Along the way, microbial biomass is formed, but it all
eventually gets consumed, as long as we are talking aerobic conditions.

In anaerobic conditions, decomposition is incomplete. Anaerobic metabolic
processes leave you with a complex set of putrefying organic matter, otherwise
known as sludge, which will never get broken down, until oxygen is introduced
(or oxygen in the form of certain kinds of thermal vent compounds).

So, anaerobic digestion will always leave you with a problem. Aerobic leaves
you with CO2 and water, eventually.

But, some anaerobic metabolites are good pesticides and so useful as organic
forms of pest control.

But I personally prefer to enhance biology, not toxics.

We can develop the science to make sure that the conditions to consistently
produce the organic pesticide are known. But there's a great deal of work
needed to be able to provide the guarantee that is possible with the aerobic teas.
 Not so yet with the anaerobic - aerobic switching back and forth teas.

For example, European regulatory agencies are purported to have stated, or
soon will state, that compost teas made without careful documentation of the
conditions of brewing will not be usable in ag. Too many people making horrible
messes using non-documented brews. So much for "European methods" being as
wonderful as Brinton is trying to make us believe. Facts are, we need to be
careful about making tea in a controlled fashion. And we have done that with the
AACT methods.

But lots of "folk-wisdom" out there that needs to be tapped, and developed.

Let's just make it clear that these other ways of making liquid amendments
are not, and should not, be called compost tea.

They are plant teas. They are often anaerobic. Clearly not AACT. But they
should be discussed on the compost tea list serve. There are interesting
things that could develop from these forms of tea.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Australia
Soil Foodweb Inc., New York
Soil Foodweb Inc., New Zealand
Soil Foodweb Inc., The Netherlands
Soil Foodweb, Inc., Mexico
Board Member, Sustainable Studies Institute, Eugene, OR