[compost_tea] Re: Herb and Weed Teas - as mineral supplements to the soil/soil life

From: chris reid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:28:08 -0500

Here is a post from Bob Norsen just appearing on the list and interspersed,
my reply. Where it says BOB, it means he's speaking, and I am speaking
where it says REPLY.

BOB: Chris I'm an engineer, not a micro biologist, but it is my
understanding that
1) leaving the weeds on top to gradually sink by microbic / biological
action back to the soil exposes the nutrients to weather, sun and leaching
in a way that might reduce the nutrients getting back to the soil to a small
part of what was in the weeds.

REPLY: see further on comments below.

2) Whacking off the roots would reduce to half the value of the total weed?

BOB -- I am a reporter of what I read, not an expert, not an engineer, not a
micro biologist. Here is what I have read. Annual weeds don't store nearly
as much food in their roots as e.g. perennial plants or woody plants. Why?
they exist to reproduce. They put a lot of energy into flowering and going
to seed. That's why I suggest cutting the weed down JUST as it is about to
flower -- too soon to end up with weed seeds, but at maximum value for the
top of the plant. Maybe you don't need to take the roots off but I hate
weeding and I actually don't know all the weeds well enough to be sure
what's annual and what's perennial. Something else to learn. I don't know
what percentage of the energy from persistent perennial weeds is directed to
the roots, but I'll risk losing it in order not to have to spend my energy
pulling them out again.

3) Composting would catch and hold more of the nutrient value than leaving
the weed - plants exposed?

REPLY: I hope you realize I'm not arguing against composting, I'm offering
an alternative that may fit some people in some cases. Ruth Stout suggests
mulching with hay, weeds, chopped vegetable scraps etc. at levels more like
a foot or more instead of a couple of inches. Patricia Lanza in Lasagna
gardening starts off the sheet mulched "lasagna" beds with two feet of
mulched matter quickly assembled, which then decomposes down into a raised
bed (layered with compost or peat -- but I disagree about using a
nonrenewable resource for this effort). The materials break down in place
and planting can be done immediately or within a couple of weeks, depending
on what you are planting. You just use more soil/compost in the mix if
you're planting directly, or that's my understanding.

BOB: And would be effective to reduce potential plant pathogens that might
be on the weeds as compared to mulching?.

REPLY: The part about plant pathogens may be accurate, sounds accurate,
means it would be good to think about what is composted. Don't know if
anyone has actually tested to see what in actuality happens in these beds.
Compost mulching has some increase in temperature involved, but it's not
thermal composting and there is no turning, so I think what you are saying
makes sense. A good reason not to sheet compost weeds with seeds...

I haven't read that nutrients are leached if you mulch this stuff, so I
don't know whether it's so or under what conditions it happens and how much
is lost. Some people don't have time or the logistics to compost
everything, so instead of just throwing it away, sheet composting is an
alternative. Rodale seems to think it is a reasonable alternative. Matt
Ryan, are you there and can you help us find out about this?

4) Composting would require 30 to 90 days. I would choose 90. Never
knowing thing 1 about fermenting plant tissue I have no opinion about how
long or what the results are.

REPLY: I haven't retained what I've read about the BD preps. I thought it
was weeks, not months. Laura will know!

BOB: I'm into aerobic 12 to 24 hour stuff. Can't imagine a useful system
that runs weeks. 500 gallon tanks are manageable. To produce the volume
needed with 90 day fermentation would run 500 x 90 = 45,000 gallons in tank
(s) for and equal product. Tanks cost roughly $ 1.00 a gallon. Handling
gear to manage that 45,000 g would run several times as much per gallon.
Regardless of the bio possibilities of the fermentation system it become a
financial overload to any but a back yard putterer.

Reply: Laura may also be using fermentation and may be able to say if it's
a financial overload to do so from her practical experience. there are those
who would say that making compost tea, compared to making compost, is a
financial overload for the back yard putterer.

Chris

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511