Re: [compost_tea] Re: Different kinds of soil tests - SFI and NPK

From: Eileen Calvanese <ecalvanese_at_bpcparks.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:25:25 -0500

On 11/20/03 1:10 PM, "Eileen Calvanese" <ecalvanese_at_bpcparks.org> wrote:

> BUT when we
> compare the tests results over the years we see a Big difference in the
> biology.
Hello compost Tea Group - Did I say BIG? ...I was a bit overzealous in my
enthusiasm for compost tea....I took our tests out for the last three years
and started to compare - well - some areas were better but not across the
board -sometimes numbers increased but in other areas we saw little or no
improvement -sometimes the numbers went down(!) (we had about 50 or so
samples taken throughout the park and have been monitoring these areas each
year since 2001) In some areas we had a significant increase in protazoa
counts and in others a drop. Sorry, Elaine, I don't think we're ready for
the e-zine yet! But -going back to the comment about people using tea for a
season and giving up - in my opinion the teas are a way to improve the
biology in your soil -but if the soil wasn't that great to begin with or
there are other factors in play (i.e. environmental) it's going to take
time to see improvement -and I don't think tea alone is going to do it
-additions of Organic matter and good cultural practices are also necessary,
too. Thanks -Eileen

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511