Re: [compost_tea] garlic, hot pepper & fungi

From: Dorothy O'Brien <obriendot_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 05:25:45 -0800 (PST)

Chris, Jeff and all--

Here is Mike Evans' greenhouse management website:
www.uark.edu/~mrevans/4703

I haven't had time to go through it to see if the
research on hot pepper meal and garlic is there. His
presentation (apologies if I misstate it in anyway)
focused on soil amendments in the greenhouse. The
pathogens were rhizectonia, phytopera, etc. Mike
demonstrated in growing media and petri dishes that
hot pepper meal at various volumes of the potting mix,
garlic and cococut coir as the media allowed the
plants to survive even with very large innoculants of
the diseases. My recollection is that each
amendment/medium was tested individually.

I am a grape grower so I am always listening/reading
with an ear toward applying the concepts in the
vineyard.

My AACT program is not completely effective in humid
Iowa for preventing disease; last year I resorted to
copper spray to arrest some problems developing in my
vines. There's concern among organic growers that
copper is not sustainable because of its ability to
accumulate in the soil. Thus, my interest in
alternate wasys of preventing, arresting disease.

Which is a long winded way around to the point: I am
wondering if hot pepper or garlic sprays early in the
season when black rot pressure is at its highest could
be a viable alernative to copper and possibly part of
an AACT program. It would have to be early in the
season because you wouldn't want to taint the grapes
with these flavors any time close to harvest.
Regarding saponin, I just recognized this as a
familiar ingredient that seems to promote good fungal
growth.

Any comments or insights appreciated....Dorothy

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511