[compost_tea] Different kinds

From: Eileen Calvanese <ecalvanese_at_bpcparks.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:43:50 -0500

On 11/21/03 6:47 PM, "chriscreid" <reidchris_at_earthlink.net> wrote:
Chris - Your thoughts are much appreciated and pretty much on target.

We have sent in samples of the teas now and then - the results have come
back good. We have not had any leaf assays done. We apply teas to gardens
and lawns using a 100g "Pak Tank" - and keep the pressure below 100 psi. We
do dechlorinate the water that is added to the tank. When we apply tea to
trees we use a drench - about 1-2 gallons per tree - just decanting it from
a barrel and bucketing it on to the tree wells.

We don't use chemicals -except for soap and horticulture oils -and that is
at a minimum . We can't control what's done around us in neighboring parks
and buildings - None of our soils are native. This is a park built on the
landfill of the World Trade Center and sand dredged from the Hudson River.
The soils of the oldest part of the park were probably some fill that a
contractor brought in - In later years we have had control over the soils
used in the landscapes. (The park was built in sections so over the years
new sections were added on) In the past years components of new soils have
been tested by SFW.

Compaction is probably one of our biggest problems. Especially on the lawns.
We are going to topdress the lawns with compost and putting the lawns to
rest for the season (fencing them off from the public-yeah!) The trees on
the streets and in wells also tend to get compacted more than those in
garden settings. We have been able to apply tea 2x a year to the trees,
topdress with compost -are planning on doing some verticle mulching and are
in the process of applying Humic Acid to them per recommendations from our
last set of tests. I'm looking forward to seeing if we get some improvement
on our next round of tests next year.

We haven't had any regular soil tests done this past year. We generally do
them every few years. Nothing really outstanding to say about them.

Thanks, Elaine for your comments that sometimes numbers need to go down-
alot to grasp and try to figure out.

Thanks again for your thoughts and ideas -Eileen

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511