Re: [compost_tea] Re: Re: More Yucca & Saponin

From: Jason Kimm <jsnkmm_at_in-tch.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 13:57:49 -0700

Kirk,
I have not done side by side testing with and without Yucca. However, I do=
 use Desert King's "Ag Aide" 50% product at the rate of .4 gallons DK 50% t=
o 200 gallons CT which covers 40 acres. I have had leaf innoculation rates=
 ranging from 40% to 95% with an average of around 70%. While the Yucca ca=
nnot be singled out as one particular factor it obviously did not destroy t=
he tea or inhibit its ability to colonize the leaf surface. FYI this was a=
pplied via airplane. The results of disease suppression were fine and I ha=
ve tested higher amounts (3 times the above) with no degredation of outcome=
.
One thing to think about: is there a good reason to use a product like Yuc=
ca in a soil drench? I use it only for foliar applications as it gets expe=
nsive to use in a soil drench application. This would protect the protozoa=
 in soil app. and allow for the great effects of Yucca in the foliar app. =
In some situations I would use Yucca such as in an in-furrow tea drench whe=
n nematodes are an issue. This places the product near to the seed and Yuc=
ca has shown some good results in helping to protect plants from parasitic =
nematode infestations. Just a few thoughts.

Regards,
Jason Kimm
Kimm TEA
Manhattan, MT