Re: [compost_tea] Tilling is sometimes necessary!

From: jim <jallan6977_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 13:42:57 -0500

  Wrong again. Nature puts it right on top and doesn't till at all. This is what I do in my
current garden. No fertilizer except what nature gives me. Water as hard as nails for the
minerals, and most of all NO tilling. Every time you till you bring weed seeds to the surface
that were buried. Two you break down all the worm tunnels that aerate the soil. Three
there are many critters vital to the soil food web that can't survive on the surface. Four
there are many root like structures that aid the soil life in surviving. Don't get me wrong
your first tillage broke up the hardpan and that was good from there on out, stay of the
ground you grow in. I grow in 4 square foot raised beds and one crop in particular you
might be familiar with is corn. I plant 64 seeds in that 4 foot square and get 64 great ears
of corn from it. I plant a full month earlier than traditional dates with a foot high box on top
with glass roof to let in the sunlight and keep out the cold. Ever notice how hot it is in your
car at midsummer when you first open the door. Same is true for the cold frame principle.
One word of caution there, you must open the top to let out excess heat as the daytime
weather does warm up. Your one inch of compost AND 3 inches of mulch replace what
the crops consume each year and shade the soil to retain moisture and help keep down
weeds.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511