[compost_tea] Does herbicide kill soil microorganisms?

From: Herb and Merla Barberie <herbnmerla_at_supersat2.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:16:34 -0800

In Weed Committee discussions here in Bonner County, Idaho, a member of
the Committee has stated that he has read research that states that
herbicide does not kill mycorrhizal fungi. I need research papers and
personal communication from a microbiologist(s) that herbicide (We use
"Curtail" (2,4-D & Clopyralid) and Triclopyr.) does kill soil
microoganisms.

I will be presenting implementation documents and goals from the Iowa
Integrated Roadside Vegetation Management program..."IRVM was started
in Black Hawk County in 1985 as a new concept used on county rural
roadsides. IRVM integrates native vegetation with appropriate
management techniques to produce a roadside that is resistant to weed
invasion and soil erosion, yet requires little or no
maintenance."..."There are three principles which govern the management
of natural, perennial vegetation: 1) Nature does not allow bare soils
to exist. 2) Bare soils are revegetated by successions of plant grops
till a "Most fit" community of plants develops on the site. 3)
Disturbance of the vegetative cover reverses the succession of
revegetation back to the bare soil starting point."..."Success demands a
change in the philosophy guiding the management of roadside vegetation
from one of weed eradication to weed prevention. This necessitates the
protection and husbandry of existing, perennial, herbacveous
vegetation." This program does use herbicide, but they have gotten it
down to spot spraying and they stress the importance of mechanical brush
removal instead of raising the nozzle. I'm trying to find a middle
ground here between our Rapid Lightning Project and the county's blanket
herbicide spraying for weeds and brush control. They're even talking
about putting a clause in the ag and timber tax exemption to remove the
exemption if the property has weeds. This is going to cause a big
uproar about invasion of privacy and if passed would greatly impact the
certified organic small farmers market growers who operate on a
shoestring.

Bonner County does not reseed soil they disturb on the roadside when
they reditch the roads and other maintenance activities. I'm at least
trying to get them to do that. The Iowa program stresses the planting
of native grasses and forbs and states that herbicide application
weakens grass stands. (Doesn't mention anything about killing
microorganisms which I think is the key to having strong turf stands.)
Anything anybody has on this that I could use would be appreciated.

Best,

Merla Barberie
Member: Bonner County Noxious Weed Advisory Committee
Leader: Rapid Lightning Non-Chemical Weed Control Project
Sandpoint, Idaho

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511