[compost_tea] Re: H202

From: <hi_yield1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:29:17 -0000

Thanks Doc.
 I can see some of the pit falls you suggest. I noticed
Peacefull Valley Farm Supply sells 35 percent food grade H202 as a
soil & foliar feed oxygen enhancer. Has to be monitored closely as not
to over do it. 35% food grade is nasty stuff, hardly worth the
PPE,danger and time fooling around with it. I have, however, come
across another product that is much safer to use, CALCIUM PEROXIDE. It
comes in a slow release grannular formula that last anywhere from 6 to
8 week in the soil. It is supposed to increase seed germination as
well as increasing soil aerobic activity? What are your thoughts on
using it along with CT, of course, in troublesome spots? Thanks and
take care Hi_Yield1.

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb_at_a... wrote:
> H2O2 is hydrogen peroxide. When added to anything containing
catalase (which means the biology to make catalase must be present and
functioning, i.e., active, not just present), H2O2 breaks down to
water and an oxygen radical (O-)

> That oxygen radical is EXTREMELY reactive, and will destroy membrane
integrity of any organism that does not have a mechanism to deal with
that reactive compound. So, H2O2 can be a great sterilant, which is
why we use it on cut, scrapes, wounds, etc. It kills alot of
organisms.

> So using it for soil remediation to GROW organisms? I don't think
so.

> But H2O2 does supply oxygen. So if you have anaerobic conditions in
soil, and you therefore have a whole bunch of anaerobic organisms
growing there, why not kill that biology that makes things that cause
plant root to die?

> So, aerate by adding H2O2, but then you HAVE TO inoculate aerobic,
beneficial organisms after that, so they then rule, instead of the
anaerobic organisms recovering and taking over again.

> So, hydrogen peroxide can help you move in the right direction, but
PLEASE, understand why it works, or you will mess up sometime,
thinking you are doing the right thing, when in fact you could be
harming the very things you need to encourage.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511