[compost_tea] Comment from an Average Home Gardener

From: dakesian1 <dakesian_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:01:04 -0000

I think all of you contributing to this forum are doing a fine job
of bringing a relatively new method of using compost tea into the
marketplace. Keep up the good work.

I'm just an average surburban home gardener that uses the standard 5
gallon bucket method, so my techniques are very basic. For the
millions of us amateur gardeners it would be nice if ACT became more
mainstream. For me, ACT is a very good addition to my gardening
practices. ACT really has eliminated diseases on my fruit trees
where I had problems in years past (i.e., before using ACT). The
overall effect on my lawn/garden has been very beneficial. The
lawn/garden is just plain healthier after using ACT for the last two
years.

For all of your professionals, good luck and keep up the good
work!! In my paid job I deal with large companies on a regular
basis (i.e., tax law). Product design protection is, and always
will be, a sensitive subject. There are people out there that
will "steal" your good ideas. All of you are right in protecting
your designs, etc. IMHO.

Product design and protection of product design costs have tax
ramifications. So, many times, over the years, I've had to discuss
the journalizing of those costs with owners or officers of a
corporation. Many times I review the legal documents memorializing
the issue a manufacturer might have with a possible litigant. In
the vast majority of cases, a warning letter from the manufacturer
to the suspected abuser is enough to stop him/her from pursuing
their product development, or marketing of a product that violates
their patent(s). Sometimes (rarely), however, litigation must be
pursued. I have to say though that, in most of those cases I've
reviewed, the defendant has a reasonable basis for assuming his/her
designs are different enough to not violate a patent.

So I guess what I'm saying is, try to warn the possible abuser of
your designs first by communicating with them by certified mail.
Usually that works. Patent law can get very technical
and "tricky". It's far better to nip the problem in the bud and
avoid litigation IMHO. Both parties are far better off than
pursuing litigation.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511