[compost_tea] Aeration experiment

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 14:00:31 -0800

Listers:

Remember I stated that I was trying an experiment where I drained tea and r=
efilled the container with fresh water but added no nutrients? I reported =
I was on my 6th batch with no signs of anaerobic activity.

I have done two more batches and can now report that there is some film bui=
ld up on the inner wall of the tank and on parts of my aeration units. The=
 aerators themselves are clean to sight but the piping associated with the =
aeration unit shows film. The DO drops less which indicates that whatever =
microbes left at the end of each draining are multiplying less. (It's less =
food, the O2 is constant.) The temp outside is about 57F (Low water temps =
hold more O2.) and normally the tea brews at about 60F. If I heated the ba=
tch, I could probably get more activity but without nutrients, would almost=
 assuredly be favoring anaerobes.

So, It looks like, I could easily get two very good batches -- with the fir=
st being the best -- of tea from one batch of compost without adding anythi=
ng but additional water after draining. Now condsidering that tea can be d=
iluted up to 4 times, it appears safe to state that I can probably brew twi=
ce with one batch of compost and lessen the dilution rate and still get goo=
d results. If I add nutrients, I may be able to get more (After all, I did=
 brew 6 batches with dropping DO pretty consistent from batch to batch.) b=
rews but with more nutrients comes other problems. I would rather be conse=
rvative at this point and until I get each and every batch tested against s=
ome type of standard, will be unwilling to make any absolute statements.

There are a number of things I don't know and some I do.

The effects I am seeing are bacterial only.

Fungal counts, if they exist, are very low. Probably ND or not living. I'=
m just not sure.

DO shows correct activity but I know nothing about the original diversity o=
ther than I used the highest quality compost I can make.

I don't know about diversity drop off from subsequent brew cycles.

I think I may be accentuating bacterial "switchers" at the temps I am brewi=
ng. Considering that the soil temp is about 52 - 53F, I just don't feel it=
 would be representative to artifically heat the brew more than the three t=
o five degrees it increases due to bacterial activity.

Next experiment, I may try to heat the water to 65-70 before I brew. It me=
ans heating the water in the tank I use for declorination. I usually declo=
rinate my water before using in one tank and brew in another. Where I live=
, chlorine is added to all potable water and this is easily removed by aera=
tion in a clean tank. Tests I have used show (depending on temp) declorina=
tion is as little as 6 hours but mostly 10 - 24 hours will do the trick. C=
older it is, longer it takes to decholrinate. Heat, O2 and UV all degrade =
chlorine in water. I have looked into inline filter systems but shouldn't =
need that for chlorine.

If you live in an area that uses cloramine, you have a problem and will pro=
bably want to get a good filtering system that will remove cloramine and ch=
lorine while you are filling your tank. Even then, I would let it sit or a=
erate for 6 hours before brewing. Chloramine is nasty stuff. You can alwa=
ys get chemicals that dechlorinate water but then you have chemical residue=
 to worry about. However, the residue my not be available to the microbes.=
  I'm just not sure and will have to research that possibility.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth

I am working on my web site because the ecommerce tool I was using never le=
t anyone other than myself log into the damn site. Somebody finally sent m=
e an email stateing the site was still listing Under Construction. When I =
get it up (my web site. . . please) I will notify the group. Clever people=
 will be able to copy my designs from what is shown on the site if that is =
what people are looking for.

For people who are destitute financially, want to experiment and keep them =
for their own use. (No, business, remanufacturing or selling.) I will send=
 verbal plans for simple, easy-to-make brewers that use trash cans and aera=
tors and feedlines that can be purchased off the shelf. With air pumps and=
 extraction sump pumps, you could put a system together that will work well=
 for under $300; less if you have some equipment already or don't need to u=
se an extraction pump. I will not send recipes or procedures or any other =
supporting material. I will not offer any assistance if you have problems =
with the brewer. I will not certify results or support the brewer in any w=
ay. If you use good compost and get good nutrients, you will get excellent=
 tea with high multiples and good diversity. I used them for a long time b=
efore I developed my own aerators and aeration methadology and they worked =
great.