Fools Brewer (was Re: [compost_tea] Re: confused and alarmed)

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:51:30 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jason Austin
  To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2003 8:36 PM
  Subject: Re: [compost_tea] Re: confused and alarmed

  Spigold - Any fool can build a brewer,
Jason:

I hate to disagree in a way but I must here. Yes, it's true that any fool =
can build a brewer. What the fool doesn't realize is that how air moves th=
rough water within specific types of containers is a science with a long hi=
story. This science will determine how efficient and clean your brewer wil=
l be. The waste treatment industry and the food processing industry both h=
ave been moving fluids with various amounts of solids in them for quite a l=
ong time. I can tell you that it took me a long time to come up with the b=
rewers I have now.

So here is what you do: get a 5G fish tank and an aquarium pump, take the a=
ir line (about 2 feet will do) out of the pump attach a little stone aerato=
r on the other end and put the aerator in the tank. Then bag your compost (=
any commercial compost or soil amendment will do) in some type of sack. A =
sock will do just fine or if you want to get sexy, use a nylon stocking. Th=
row the sack in the tank and add sugar to the water. Plain old white sugar =
works just fine. You will get multiples of bacteria that exist in the compo=
st. Voila, you have a fools brewer. If you really want to get creative, y=
ou can get ornaments like the bubbling treasure chest and the little mermai=
d that bobs up and down. Of course, you might not want a mermaid here. I=
 suggest a skull of some kind with the bubbles coming out of it. For added=
 fun, you can get air lines made from recycled tire rubber. That should ma=
ke your tea really interesting.

Successfully brewing really good ACT that works is like making compost. It=
's easy once you know how to do it correctly. Get the C/N ratio wrong in y=
our compost and nada. When brewing, you have to learn what works both in c=
ontrolled and uncontrolled (field) situations. It's just like brewing beer=
. There's beer and there's beer you can drink and there's beer you want to=
 drink. Of course, you can always make fools compost with those little star=
ter chemicals. So you can get fool's compost and a fool's brewer then make=
 foolish claims about your tea.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth