Re: [compost_tea] Some fungi info

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:08:27 EST

Hyphae are the individual strands of the body of the fungus. A single hypha
is one single strand. Hyphae is more than one strand.

The body, made up of all the individual strands, is called the mycelium. The
fungus is the whole mycelium, but also includes any fruiting structures, such
as spores, or asci, or mushrooms, or truffles.

Why are you mad? Morphological terminology is difficult. It needs to be
used correctly, or we end up with chaos in what we are saying. Precision is very
important.

Elaine
President, Soil Foodweb Inc,
1128 NW 2nd ST., Suite 120
Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Australia
Soil Foodweb Inc., New York
Soil Foodweb Inc., New Zealand
Soil Foodweb Inc., The Netherlands
Soil Foodweb Inc., Mexico
Board Member, Sustainable Studies Institute, Eugene, OR

"Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn out well,
but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense,
no matter how things turn out."
-- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech Republic