Re: [compost_tea] sulfur and fungi

From: Dorothy O'Brien <obriendot_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 06:54:42 -0800 (PST)

Thanks to Elaine for your comments on sulfur and its
detrimental effects on fungi. Perhaps you could offer
a bit more explanation?

We've been advised to apply 100# of elemental sulfur
to our vineyard and crop fields. Also zinc sulfate and
copper sulfate at lesser rates. Our soils are high in
magnesium and the cal/mag ratio is not in balance. I
believe the theory is that the sulfur will attach to
the magnesium and dissipate, resulting in a looser
soil that is relatively higher in Calcium.

Are you saying that more biology will bring the
magnesium and calcium into balance? If so, how would
this work?

BTW, we have been applying ACT and fish for a full
year now and I am seeing some improvement. I would
hate to go backwards by killing off the fungi.

Thanks in advance for your comments. Dorothy

To visit your group on the web, go to: